Tuesday, January 24, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Nancy King, seated as Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Laura Hoeing; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for T. Welles
Absent: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 1/10/17
Minutes of Site Walk 1/15/17, 66 Deer Hill Rd., Stuart Laidlaw
Minutes of Site Walk 1/22/17-Park & Rec. at Community Center and Hill Rd, Dog Park, David and Max Daignault-PENDING
On the motion of R. O’Brien and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted to approve the 1/10/17 Meeting Minutes. J. Bacon abstained.
On the motion of R. O’Brien and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 1/15/17 Site Walk Minutes.
1. Ref. App. #351, Lot 16, 66 Deer Hill Rd., Stuart Laidlaw. Request to alter BCRL and drainage. Site Walk 1/15/17. Discussion and possible vote.
Stuart Laidlaw was present. Site Walk findings were reviewed. Mr. Laidlaw clarified that he is not constructing the originally proposed barn.
A drawing is requested for the file depicting the drainage location and new location of overflow. The original recorded map can be amended to include the new drainage.
2. Ref. App. #504, 34 Mountain Rd., Jay Keillor, Joe Nazzaro. Request to review and amend Conditions of Approval. Site Walk 1/7/17. Discussion.
Joe Nazzaro was present for Jay Keillor. He reviewed the status of the Conditions of Approval. The Fire Department will recommend installation of the water tank.
John Hayes reviewed possible design changes re: sight line. Maps from the site walk will be brought to the Land Use office for further review. Boulders vs. guiderail will be reviewed after previously approved applications with boulders are referenced.
3. Ref. App. #505, Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane.
Costa Stergue, Todd and Alexis Bennett were present. Mr. Bennett requested that the road become a town road. A memo from Milone & MacBroom was read delineating the reasons why the road has not been approved as a Town road.
A list of open items will be compiled after review of the prior engineering reports and forwarded to Mr. Bennett. An engineering inspection will be requested once the outstanding items are complete.
4. Location of Dog Park. Discussion of criteria re: Site Walk 1/22/17.
David and Max Daignault were present. The applicant was instructed to obtain data as to how many people are in support of the proposed dog park in addition to a plan for ongoing funding for maintenance.
5. Referral from Zoning: Amendment to Zoning Regulation, Section 5.12. Accessory Apartments. Public Hearing 1/25/17. To Vote.
The current and proposed Zoning Regulation was reviewed in detail. John Hayes reviewed the two primary changes to the regulation; increasing maximum space to 800 sq. ft. and eliminating the three-acre requirement.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the Referral from Zoning as amended.
6. IHZ Status. Separation of land outside Super 7 right-of-way per John Hayes for IHZ use. Request to be submitted to Selectmen, State Legislature and DOT.
A proposed amendment to 8-30g will be written by N. King, J. Hayes, L. Hoeing and T. Welles.
7. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed. (7 Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16.)
8. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008
· Report from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine TO DISCUSS 2008 Plan recommendations to be pursued currently, continued to the 2018 Plan or discontinued.
1. Subdivision Regulation Revisions, i.e. 4.5.
2. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use per App. #496, 7/12/16.
3. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
4. Ref. App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
5. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by volunteer monitors.
6. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Legislative Issues. J. Hayes suggests Watershed Bill per Adam Dunsby and possible letter to Western CT Regional Agency.
On the motion of L. Hoeing and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:55 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly