Select Page

Minutes of Planning Commission, 03/28/2017

AGENDA: Planning Commission

RECEIVED 03/30/2017 11:50am
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

MINUTES
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House

Present: T. Welles, Acting Chairman; N. King; L. Hoeing; C. Matzke, Alt., seated for S. Gagnon.

Absent: A. Cumings; S. Gagnon; R. O’Brien, Alt., Jim Bacon

Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator; John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:34 p.m.

I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Meeting of 2/14/17; Meeting of 2/28/17 Cancelled (Blizzard)

On the motion of T. Welles and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 2/14/17 Meeting Minutes.

II. ADMINISTRATIVE
1. Location of Dog Park. Discussion re number of interested people, and plan for funding.

Max Daignault, D. Daignault and members of the public were present. A new proposed location at Topstone Park was reviewed in detail. A variety of advantages to the new location were discussed including shade, distance from neighbors, and location within an existing park.

A letter from Tree Warden Sean McNamara was read into the record. Consulting an arborist is suggested. A member of the public asked how water would be supplied. Mr. Daignault stated that Park & Rec. will work on assuring a water source.

A site walk is scheduled for Sat., 4/1/17, 9:30 a.m. T. Welles will print out a map of the area along with dimensions for use as a reference.

2. Ref. App. #351, Lot 16, 66 Deer Hill Road, Stuart Laidlaw. Request to alter BCRL and Drainage. 40-scale map to be supplied by Redding Planning Commission.
No one was present for the applicant. N. King submitted the enlarged 40-scale map. Discussion will continue pending attendance by Mr. Laidlaw.

3. IHZ Status. A) Separation of land outside Super 7 right-of-way per john Hayes for IHZ use. Request to be submitted to Selectmen, State Legislature and D.O.T. B) Draft Amendment to 8-30g submitted for review.

Toby Welles will ask Rob Dean to participate in the IHZ Committee. J. Hayes is working on an improved map.

The alternative vision presentation for GLDC was discussed. Further information is needed re: train station.

J. Pemberton will schedule a meeting with Sen. Duff and DOT.

On the motion of T. Welles and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to move Agenda Item 8. to Agenda Item 4.

4. Ref. App. #504, Jay Keillor requests a one-year extension to work out final construction details. TO VOTE.

Jay Keillor was present. J. Brooks reported on the consultation with Commission Counsel.

On the motion of T. Welles and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to grant a six-month extension from the current date of expiration.

5. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by volunteer monitors.

Laura Hoeing reported on the persistent garbage noted on Umpawaug Road between Wayside and Rte. 107. Various options were discussed. T. Welles will contact Police Chief Fuchs to investigate further options.

Two recent house fires were noted.

6. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.

Toby Welles reviewed an alternative cul de sac design with Jeff Hansen that would allow large plows to turn while plowing. The test on Longmeadow was successful and the new design will be submitted.

7. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008. Reports from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine re 2008 Plan Recommendations to be (a) pursued currently, (b) continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) discontinued. Finalization necessary to begin 2018 plan.

John Hayes reported on the status of compiling statistical information. C. Matzke will review assigned chapters and select two chapters to assist on. T. Welles posted his assigned chapters on Dropbox and will forward the Dropbox link.

All assigned chapters should be ready for review at the next meeting.

8. Legislative Issues. John Hayes suggests Watershed Protection Bill per Adam Dunsby and possible letter to Western CT Regional Agency re watershed protection.

John Hayes will call Brian Roach at Aquarion to request a list of towns with similar interests to Redding for support in promoting a Watershed Protection Bill, HB 6606.

III. PENDING
1. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
2. Ref. App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
3. Ref. App. #504, 34 Mountain Road, Jay Keillor, Joe Nazzaro. Request to review and amend Conditions of Approval. Tabled on 1/24/17.
4. Ref. App. #505, Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane. Tabled on 1/24/17.
5. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
6. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use per App. #496, 7/12/16.
7. Subdivision Regulation Revisions, i.e. 4.5.

IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT

Claire Matzke reviewed her attendance at a Commissioner training session at Wesleyan.

On the motion of N. King and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:20 p.m.

Submitted by:
Kristi C. Reilly

Accessibility Tools
hide