Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings; Michael Nostin, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King.
Absent: Nancy King; Toby Welles
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Doug Fuchs, Chief of Police
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:32 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 7/22/14
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted to approve the 7/22/14 Meeting Minutes as corrected: last item under “Chairman’s Report:, change “7/23/14” to “7/22/14” and add “re: IHZ” to the end of the last sentence. M. Nostin abstained.
II. PUBLIC HEARING TO OPEN
Sections 4.3, 4.4 and 4.6 of the Redding Subdivision Regulations.
No one was present from the public.
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of M. Nostin, the Commission voted unanimously to close the Public Hearing.
On the motion of R. O’Brien and the second of A. Cumings, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the revisions to Sections 4.3, 4.4 and 4.6 of the Redding Subdivision Regulations to be effective upon publication.
1. Reflectors on Scenic Roads. Doug Fuchs will demonstrate size and advantages. Discussion.
D. Fuchs displayed photographs of proposed road reflectors. Wally King from Poverty Hollow questioned if there is a noise when a car runs over the reflector. Sherry Karraker of Poverty Hollow questioned if reflectors aid in traffic calming. Chief Fuchs reviewed the advantage of utilizing the reflectors for both traffic safety and traffic calming.
On the motion of M. Nostin and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to test the road reflectors on Cross Highway between Black Rock Turnpike and Newtown Turnpike.
2. Kathleen Tracey, 163 Sunset Hill Road, alteration to driveway.
K. Tracey was present. She submitted and reviewed the new proposed driveway alteration. New Commissioners will do a site inspection on an individual basis prior to the next meeting. John Hayes will do a site inspection and submit a report re: sight line distance.
3. Status of Limekiln Road complaint and discussion of Overlook Lane, Ted Ogonek.
Mr. Ogonek noted that the requested cleanup on Limekiln Road has not been done. The log to be removed has been painted red by Mr. Ogonek for easy identification.
Concerns re: long-standing safety issues were discussed. Mr. Ogonek will submit a written request to reduce the road width to 18-20 feet when the road is reclaimed by the Highway Department. J. Hayes will submit a formal report detailing his recommendations.
4. Status of Speed Humps on Marchant Road.
Maria Heyman was present. Chief Fuchs reported that construction of the proposed speed hump is approved and a vendor has been secured. He will contact J. Hanson re: scheduling status.
IV. PENDING ITEMS. NOT CURRENTLY FOR ACTION
1. Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/14 contacting engineer.
2. Subdivision App. #402, 2 John Todd Way, Lot One. Request to alter Building Construction Restriction Line. Andrew Wertheim and Sybil Peyer (owners), Nick Nelson (agent). Site Walk 3/29/14. Discussion 4/8/14. Map submitted with application.
3. Request for Plantings, 206 Umpawaug Road. Discussion of easement.
4. Lisa Lind Larson – Proposed Conservation Easement – Discussion.
5. Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations for action.
6. Sight Line Regulations. Zoning, Police Chief, Highway Superintendent.
7. Subcommittee list to review, attached. Nancy has 5 and Toby has 3+3 alternates.
8. Scenic Road Monitoring. Volunteers’ Reports.
D. Taylor requested Commissioners to check their Scenic Road assignments for discussion at the next meeting.
V. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
D. Taylor read a letter from Millicent Good re: Topstone Road widening.
An email from T. Welles re: relationship with Highway Department was read. J. Hayes read a memo re: Scenic Road Ordinance and road maintenance and reiterated the need to document Scenic Road details in advance of alterations. D. Taylor sent a letter to the First Selectman on 7/28/14. Chief Fuchs suggested a formal road committee.
Cost Estimate, App. #524, Henry Sanford.
J. Hayes reviewed the estimates and his report has been forwarded to M. Mazzucco.
D. Fuchs showed a photograph of double yellow lines on Newtown Turnpike.
J. Hayes reported that the IHZ report has been adopted. Ridgefield and Norwalk River Valley Trail Association are working together to persuade the State to release land to the Towns.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:40 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly