Tuesday, May 9, 2017
7:30 P.M. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; Steve Gagnon; Laura Hoeing; Anda Cumings; Claire Matzke, Alt., Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for Nancy King
Absent: Nancy King
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 4/25/17
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of Laura Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the Minutes of 4/25/17.
1. Reference App’l #351, Lot 16, 66 Deer Hill Road, Stuart Laidlaw. Request to alter
BCRL and Drainage. 40-scale map to be supplied by Redding Planning Commission.
Discussion tabled pending attendance by Mr. Laidlaw.
The Commission to handle Item #3 before Item #2.
2. Referral from Ridgefield: Special Application and Plenary Ruling Application to
construct a little league ball field at 2 Sanford Station Road (Simpaug Turnpike),
Ridgefield. Public Hearing scheduled for May 16, 2017.
T. Welles wrote a letter to the Zoning Commission expressing concerns the Planning Commission has with traffic, lighting, the use of chemicals and the noise impact of the proposal. It was noted Ridgefield has 54 ball fields already. Nancy King submitted a letter to the Commission opposing the proposal.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted unanimously that a letter recommending denial of the Referral from Ridgefield for a little league ball field be sent to Ridgefield on behalf of the Redding Planning Commission quoting all the concerns expressed in their letter of 4/26/17 to the Redding Zoning Commission.
3. Frank Harsche (owner) 626 Redding Road: Inquiry re history of S.R. 4.8, Archaeological, Historical & Cultural Resources Preservation.
Frank and Rita Harsche were present. Mr. Harsche read a letter he prepared stating his issue with the archaeological portion of Section 4.8. No owners of archaeological sensitive land were notified of the property designation and it is costly to fulfill the requirements of S.R. 4.8. He suggested a public forum be held to see if people really want this requirement to continue. The letter was submitted for the record.
The Commission agreed to better presentation and clarification of Legal Notices for Town Plan of Conservation & Development sections under discussion for revision so they are more informative for the public. T. Welles explained the history of Section 4.8, which was based on court cases and State enabling legislation.
4. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008.
FINAL Reports from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine re 2008 Plan Recommendations to be (a) pursued currently, (b) continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) discontinued. Finalization necessary to begin 2018 Plan.
The Chairmen presented their reports on sections of each of the Chapters under review. To be continued.
5. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors. No discussion.
1. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
2. Reference App’l #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive. Fred Aley, owner. Map to be
submitted showing new B.C.R.L.
3. Reference App’l #505, Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane. Tabled on 1/24/17.
4. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
5. Common Driveway Easement and Maintenance Agreement for standard use
per App’l #496, 7/12/16.
6. Subdivision Regulation Revisions, i.e. 4.5.
7. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway
Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new
dimensions. To be included in S.R. 4.8.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of L. Hoeing, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:45 p.m.
Susan C. Henderson