Tuesday, August 8, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; Nancy King; Steve Gagnon; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for A. Cumings.
Absent: A. Cumings; L. Hoeing; C. Matzke, Alt.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator and John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
James Bacon will be re-appointed Commission Alternate by the next meeting.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 7/11/17
On the motion of N. King and the second of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 7/11/17 Meeting Minutes.
1. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008.
Final reports from the Chairmen of Chapters Two, Five, Seven, and Nine re 2008 Plan Recommendations to be (a) pursued currently, (b) continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) discontinued. Finalization necessary to begin 2018 Plan.
Toby Welles requested written recommendations for easier review for each assigned chapter by the next meeting.
PA 17-170, an act concerning the Affordable Housing Land Use appeals procedure was discussed. J. Hayes submitted and reviewed an analysis of potential repercussions.
The need for town volunteers on boards and commissions was reviewed.
2. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.
The Commission discussed the need to focus on identifying single trees on Scenic Roads that may require preventive tree maintenance in light of a recent issue on Cross Highway.
3. Subdivision Regulation Revision: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes reported that the revision is near completion and he does not see any major modifications. Need to check compliance with new State mandates.
4. Draft CT State Water Plan. Discussion: comments due by Friday, 11/17/17.
Toby Welles reviewed recent information from WestCOG. Discussion will continue.
5. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Discussion. Possible vote.
Toby Welles will forward a pdf version of the draft easement for review at the next meeting. Comments from Commission Counsel P. Olson are pending.
1. 216 Poverty Hollow Road, Frank Doelger and Bruce Harmon, Sylvia Erskine, agent. Request to build a stone wall on a Scenic Road. Continued pending sample wall for review.
2. 64 Cross Highway, Susan Lockwood: Alteration to a Scenic Road. Request to change curb cut to improve sightlines approved 4/12/16 per Steve Kochis.
3. Ref. App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Dr., Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
4. Ref. App. #505. Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane. Tabled on 1/24/17.
5. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
6. Cul de Sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions. To be included in S.R. 4.8.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Julia Pemberton is holding a meeting at the Community Center on Wed., 8/9/17 at 7:30 p.m. re: railroad horn noise levels. CT DOT Commissioner James Redeker will be attending the meeting to discuss federal safety and quiet zone regulations. Toby Welles will try to discuss the Route 7 Incentive Housing Zone with Mr. Redeker.
On the motion of N. King and the second of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:30 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly