Tuesday, September 12, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Nancy King, seated as Acting Chairman; Anda Cuming; Steve Gagnon; Claire Matzke, Alt., Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for T. Welles until 8:15 p.m.; Toby Welles, seated at 8:15 p.m.
Absent: Laura Hoeing
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 8/22/17
On the motion of A. Cuming and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 8/22/17 Meeting Minutes.
1. 84 Cross Highway, Janice Rotchstein. To discuss planning trees in the Town right-of-way on a Designated Scenic Road.
Nancy King read a letter from Janice Rotchstein dated 9/7/17 detailing the removal of diseased trees and a proposal to replant trees both on her property and on the Town right-of-way.
N. King and R. O’Brien will review options and provide advice re: type and location of possible tree replacement.
Jo-an Brooks noted the presence of a possible maple tree fungus. C. Matzke will follow-up with the UConn Extension Forestry Program.
2. 216 Poverty Hollow Road, Frank Doelger and Bruce Harmon. Sylvia Erskine, agent. Request to build a stone wall on a Scenic Road. TO VOTE.
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the request to build a stone wall on a Scenic Road.
Concern was noted re: riprap in the driveway. A letter will be sent reminding the applicant that the riprap pad needs to be removed.
3. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008.
2008 Plan Recommendations TO BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING (a) pursued currently, (b) continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) discontinued.
John Hayes reviewed comments in response to A. Cuming’s edit of Chapter 5.
Mr. Hayes will be meeting with Carl Zimmerman at WestConn re: scope of services and costs for GIS mapping.
Commissioners will submit chapter edits to the Land Use Office via email.
4. Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.
No issues were noted.
5. Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes will submit comments re: 4.5.9 and 4.5.10 for further discussion.
6. Draft CT State Water Plan. Discussion: comments due by Friday 11/17/17.
A letter will be resubmitted to the State Legislature for consideration at the next session re: Affordable Housing located in the public water supply watershed area.
Commissioners will each read a chapter and review at the next meeting.
7. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Discussion. Possible Vote.
Comments have been received from Commission Counsel. They will be incorporated for a final review copy to be submitted to J. Hayes for his review.
8. IHZ Status. Discussion for action.
Commissioners discussed possible members for the IHZ subcommittee.
1. Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive, Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
2. Reference App. #505. Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane. Tabled on 1/24/17.
3. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4. Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions. To be included in S.R. 4.8.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
John Hayes stated that the deadline for the draft State Conservation & Development Policies Plan is October 15.
On the motion of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:33 p.m.
Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly