Select Page

Minutes of Planning Commission, 09/26/2017

AGENDA: Planning Commission

RECEIVED 09/28/2017 2:16pm
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

Tuesday, September 26 2017
7:30 – Old Town House

Present: Nancy King, seated as Acting Chairman; Anda Cuming; Steve Gagnon; Laura Hoeing; Claire Matzke, Alt., seated for T. Welles; Regina O’Brien, Alt.

Absent: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman

Also present:  Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Aimee Pardee, WEO/ZEO
Jim Bacon

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 9/12/17
On the motion of C. Matzke and the second of R. O’Brien, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 9/12/17 Meeting Minutes.

1.  84 Cross Highway, Janice Rotchstein.
To discuss planting trees in the Town right-of-way on a Designated Scenic Road. Advice from landscape architects.
Janice Rotchstein was present. Ms. Rotchstein reviewed the recent history of tree removal both on her property and on the Town right-of-way. Due to the historical significance of the area, Ms. Rotchstein would like trees replanted along the meridian.

Nancy King and Regina O’Brien have inspected the area and will supply a list of appropriate plantings for Ms. Rotchstein to consider. J. Brooks will forward contact information for the Highway Dept. re: debris removal.

2.  Referral from Zoning. Request from Zoning Enforcement Officer to rethink “Granny Pods.” Aimee Pardee will present Zoning issues.
Aimee Pardee reviewed concerns as noted in meetings regarding PA 17-155.

On the motion of N. King and the second of A. Cuming, the Commission voted unanimously to rescind the original recommendation to Zoning re: Granny Pods and to opt out of PA 17-155.

The Town apartment regulations have been recently amended and can be considered a feasible alternative.

3.  Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2008.
2008 Plan Recommendations TO BE SUBMITTED IN WRITING (a) pursued currently, (b) continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) discontinued.

Chapters from T. Welles, N. King and R. O’Brien are pending.

4.  Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.

Cross Highway: A. Pardee will notify need to remove paving sign.
Sherman Turnpike: A. Cuming will contact Jeff Hanson re: guardrails.

5.  Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes will submit written comments for further discussion.

6.  Draft CT State Water Plan. Discussion: comments due by Friday 11/17/17.

John Hayes reported that there’s a State Health Department meeting re: State Water Plan on 10/5/17, 12:30 p.m. at the Ridgefield Visiting Nurses Association building. A. Cuming and C. Matzke will also be attending.

WestCOG is seeking a response by 10/2/17. A letter will be written and forwarded.

7.  Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Discussion. Possible Vote.

The final version, incorporating J. Hayes’ comments, will be forwarded to Commission Counsel.  The title will be changed to Declaration of Easement for Access and Maintenance of Common Driveway.

8.  IHZ Status. Discussion for action.

A subcommittee is still in the process of being formed.

1.  Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive, Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.
2.  Reference App. #505. Request for Costa Stergue to complete his road to Town requirements. Alexis Bennett, 20 Costa Lane. Tabled on 1/24/17.
Laura Hoeing stated that Alexis Bennett no longer lives on Costa Lane.
3.  Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
4.  Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions. To be included in S.R. 4.8.


Re: GIS mapping, J. Hayes met with Carl Zimmerman at WestCOG. An estimate for 6 new maps is forthcoming. Remainder maps can be repeated.

Nancy King read a letter re: tree removal outside BCRL on Mountain Road. J. Hayes will do a site walk and observations will be discussed at the next meeting re: clearcutting regulations.

On the motion of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:33 p.m.

Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly