Select Page

Minutes of Planning Commission, 10/24/2017

AGENDA: Planning Commission

RECEIVED 10/26/2017 3:40pm

Notice: Trying to get property 'name' of non-object in /home/customer/www/townofreddingct.org/public_html/wp-content/themes/Divi-child/single-minute.php on line 46

Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
MINUTES
Tuesday, October 24, 2017
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House

Present: Toby Welles, Acting Chairman; Anda Cuming; Steve Gagnon; Laura Hoeing; James Bacon, Alt.; Claire Matzke, Alt.; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for N. King
Absent: Nancy King
Also present:   Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant

The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

I.          APPROVAL OF MINUTES           -Meeting of 9/26//17
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 9/26/17 Meeting Minutes as amended:  Page 2, first line under Item 4., change to “Cross Highway: A. Pardee will notify need to remove paving sign at 64 Cross Highway.”

II.        ADMINISTRATIVE
1.      84 Cross Highway
, Janice Rotchstein. To discuss planning trees in the Town right-of-way on a Designated Scenic Road. Advice from landscape architects.
Recommendations submitted by N. King and R. O’Brien were reviewed by Ms. O’Brien. Approaches to the road property sides of the wall were noted.

2.      63 Mountain Road. Clearcutting. Discussion re possible Regulations changes by J. Hayes. Clearcutting within the BCRL (Building Construction Restriction Line) can be addressed by amending Subdivision Regulations.
Recent reports of observed clearcutting prior to submission of an application were discussed. There is currently no mechanism whereby a Town agency is informed.
The current Regulations were reviewed by John Hayes who will submit a report.

3.      Town Plan of Conservation 7& Development 2008
2008 Plan Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email with the following advice (a) to be pursued currently, (b) to be continued to the 2018 Plan or (c) to be discontinued. Toby Welles, Nancy King, Regina O’Brien.

John Hayes noted that he is obtaining an estimate from WestCOG for updated GIS mapping.  J. Bacon reported on his review of the Georgetown section.  T. Welles suggested contacting Rob Dean to assist with the update of Georgetown. The need to prioritize the recommendations and assign resources to the most important sections was discussed.

4.      Scenic Road Monitoring. Reports by Commission monitors.
A stone pillar on the town right-of-way on Topstone Road was discussed.  The Commission concurred that it is not in the purview of this Commission and will be referred to Jeff Hanson.

5.      Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes will submit written comments for further discussion.

6.      Draft CT State Water Plan. Discussion: comments due by Friday 11/17/17.
Toby Welles reviewed his review and edits of the draft.  He will email his version out for comment and the final version will be sent out to all towns in WestCOG.
Comments should be returned to the Land Use Office by 10/30/17.

7.      Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Discussion. Possible Vote.
Final comments from Commission Counsel are still pending. J. Bacon noted his concern re: arbitration clause.

8.      IHZ Status. Discussion for action.
A subcommittee is still in the process of being formed. T. Welles will contact J. Pemberton re: discussion with Sen. Duff.

III.       PENDING
1.      Reference App. #348, Lot 2, 8 Putnam Hill Drive, Fred Aley, owner. Map to be submitted showing new BCRL.

2.      Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.

3.      Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions. To be included in S.R. 4.8.

IV.       CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
Toby Welles reported observing an inspection of the Poverty Hollow Bridge.
C. Matzke provided an unofficial update on the proposed dog park.

On the motion of S. Gagnon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 9:08 p.m.

Submitted by: Kristi C. Reilly