Tuesday, February 10, 2015
7:30 p.m. – Old Town House
Present: Diane Taylor, Chairman; James Bacon; Anda Cumings, seated at 7:40 p.m.; Nancy King; Toby Welles; Michael Nostin, Alt.; Regina O’Brien, Alt., seated for A. Cumings until 7:40 p.m.
Also present: Jo-an Brooks, Land Use Coordinator
Julia Pemberton, First Selectman
John Hayes, Town Planning Consultant
Doug Fuchs, Redding Police Chief
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:33 p.m.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Meeting of 1/13/15
Site Walk Minutes 1/11/15-Old Stone Estates, 12 Marchant Rd.
Site Walk Minutes 1/13/15-Old Stone Estates, 12 Marchant Rd.
Meeting of 1/27/15 cancelled due to snowstorm
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 1/13/15 Meeting Minutes.
On the motion of N. King and the second of T. Welles, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 1/11/15 Site Walk Minutes
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 1/13/15 Site Walk Minutes.
II. PUBLIC HEARING – TO OPEN
Subdivision Application #525, 12 Marchant Road and 55 Chestnut Woods Road, Old Stone Estates, LLC (owner), P.W. Scott Engineering & Architecture, PC (agent.) Proposed subdivision of 65.60 acres into 14 lots. Received 12/9/14. Presentation 1/13/15. Site Walks 1/11/5 and 1/13/15.
P.W. Scott was present along with Atty. Peter Scalzo for the applicant. D. Taylor read a letter dated 2/4/15 noting the requirement of the application fees to be paid in full prior to the opening of the Public Hearing. Due to weather-related circumstances, confirmation with Commission Counsel regarding the status of the Public Hearing is pending therefore the Public Hearing will open with the fee pending.
Reports from consultants John Hayes and Milone & MacBroom are not completed due to the recent submissions.
P. Scott made a presentation accompanied by maps and drawings.
Concern was noted regarding the extent of archaeological surveys. The applicant’s consultant will attend the next Public Hearing for further details.
Members of the public were present. Paige Davison noted concerns including the roundabout, ownership of road construction and construction sequence; Wolf Boehme questioned the grass swale, lot line revision and 100-year flood plain designation; Wendy Nelson questioned the zoning size in addition to width of proposed trail; Anthony Fuschetto noted status of cut trees and plans for further tree cutting; John D’Alessandro noted his concern re: maintaining present character of the road and the presence of Scenic Road signs placed at both ends of Chestnut Woods Road; Sharon Lanoue requested clarification re: additional driveways on Marchant Road; Ellen Hughes questioned who was responsible for maintaining the proposed trail and Melissa Webdale noted her concerns re: tree cutting and maintaining the character of the road.
D. Taylor requested additional questions to be submitted to the Land Use Office prior to the next Public Hearing. Land Use Office hours were noted for public review of all presentation files and materials for Subdivision Application #525.
The Public Hearing will continue at the next meeting.
1. Referral from Selectmen. Per C.G.S. 8-23 municipal improvements. Request from Police Department to erect a replacement Communication tower at the same location as the present one but with a height increase of approximately 40 ft.
Police Chief Doug Fuchs was present. He reviewed the status of the present communication tower in addition to the proposed new tower.
D. Taylor read letters from Vanessa Alward and Amy Cabot noting their concerns. Sherry Karraker questioned the height of the Redding Ridge tower. Raymond D’Angelo spoke on behalf of the Redding Preservation Society and requested reconsideration of the proposal.
Various alternatives were discussed. Julia Pemberton reviewed the current approved budget amount.
Alternative designs and costs will be obtained for discussion at the next meeting. T. Welles will create a mockup of a tree-type modular alternative with multi-height levels for review.
2. Section 4.5 rewritten by Milone & MacBroom. To review for vote. Discussion tabled until the next meeting.
3. Scenic Road Monitoring since last review. Discussion of increased size of stop signs and red paint on posts.
The presence of new signs was reviewed. A letter will be sent to the Board of Selectmen requesting removal from the sign replacement project.
4. Controls for Land Clearing.
T. Welles will write a draft letter regarding land clearing prior to receipt of applications.
5. Referral from Zoning, Stephanie Gregory, 34 Goodsell Road. Request for Special Use Permit for a detached residential apartment. Public Hearing 2/11/15. TO VOTE.
On the motion of T. Welles and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to forward a positive response as it is in accordance with the Town Plan of Conservation & Development and with the condition that the deficiencies noted in J. Hayes’ report are addressed and that a positive response is received from the Town Sanitarian.
6. Referral from Zoning, Redding Ridge Fire Dept., 186 Black Rock Tpke. Request for Limited Duration Special Use Permit for Special Event on 6/21/15. Public Hearing 2/11/15. TO VOTE.
A letter will be written noting that the Planning Commission does not require an application for this event.
7. Per C.G.S. 8-26c ( c ): Vote to file notice in the land records that Application #505 expired on 1/10/15 per P.A. 11-5 since the applicant failed to complete all work approved by the subdivision, unless the Planning Commission receives a report from Milone & MacBroom by 4/1/15 that all work required for the approval has been completed.
On the motion of J. Bacon and the second of N. King, the Commission voted unanimously to file notice of Application expiration in the land records for Application #505 if notification that required work is complete is not received by 4/1/15.
1. Reference App. #505, Lot 3, 16 Costa Lane. Petra Koegel, owner. ZBA approved location of dog kennel and shed outside the Zoning setbacks. Location approved by Planning. To submit a map showing the adjusted Building Construction Restriction Line. 6/5/14 Petra to contact engineer.
2. Town Plan of Conservation & Development. Discuss recommendations for action.
3. Sight Line Regulations. Discussion with Zoning, Police Chief, Highway Superintendent.
4. Jose Goncalves, App. #506, Lot 2, 220 Umpawaug Road. Request to enlarge Building Construction & Restriction Line a short distance. Need map showing new line.
5. 163 Umpawaug Road, Ed Kilian. Request to reconstruct stonewall on a Scenic Road.
V. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of A. Cumings and the second of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to nominate Nancy King for a 12-year Service Award at a ceremony on 3/6/15.
On the motion of J. Bacon, the Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 11:15 p.m.
Kristi C. Reilly