Redding Planning Commission
P.O. Box 1028
Redding Center, Connecticut 06875-1028
MINUTES – SPECIAL MEETING
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
6:30 p.m. – Old Town House
23 Cross Highway – Redding, Connecticut
Present: Commissioner Nancy King seated as Chairman; Commissioner Chuck Cilo; Commissioner Anda Cummings; Commissioner Steve Gagnon; Alternate Regina O’Brien; Alternate Clair Matzke (7:10 p.m.).
Absent: Toby Welles, Chairman; Alternate Jim Bacon.
Also present: Aimee Pardee, ZEO/WEO
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., seating Ms. O’Brien for Mr. Welles.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES -Meeting of 5/24/18
On the motion of S. Gagnon and the second of C. Cilo, the Commission voted unanimously to approve the 5/24/18 Meeting Minutes as written.
1. Reference App. #513, 52 Mountain Road, “Pay Dirt LLC”, Atty. Neil Marcus, agent. Request to amend approved subdivision plan: drainage at street and easement in minimum rectangle for drive to serve 48 Mountain Road. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report from Milone and MacBroom re:drainage from new drive extension. Possible vote with condition of resolution of ridgeline easement per Peter Olson memo.
A. Pardee reported that updated survey mapping had been received and that Michael Mazzuco, P.E., was in the process of updating his plan in accordance with the survey. She stated that Mr. Mazzuco also reported that he is working with Town Engineer John Gilmore to address concerns regarding any drainage from the new section of driveway proposed to access 48 Mountain Road. She also said that a revised Ridgeline Easement has been received from Mr. Marcus.
Mr. Marcus was present. He reviewed the mapping showing the revised Ridgeline Easement. He stated that the revision creates a net gain of easement area. He stated that his client would be responsible for the revision of the easement that must be completed with the Selectmen. N. King asked about the limitation of the easement and Mr. Marcus reviewed the easement language.
The Commission discussed the revised mapping and A. Cummings spoke in favor of eliminating a driveway cut to access 48 Mountain Road.
R. O’Brien moved that the Commission approve the amendment to Subdivision #513 with the following conditions:
-The final engineered mapping , with drainage issues addressed, must be approved by Town Engineer John Gilmore.
-The applicant must complete the process of amending the Ridgeline Easement to
the satisfaction of both the Commission and the Town Board of Selectmen.
C. Cilo seconded the motion and it was carried unanimously.
Before the commission began discussion of Item 2 on the agenda, they discussed the following pending items:
-Scenic Road Monitoring: A. Pardee noted that T. Welles had raised concern over an accessway that has been cut off of Old Hattertown Road. She has looked at the area and found that woodchips and logs had been placed in the area. This area is also subject to an easement to the Redding Land Trust. N. King passed around photos of the disturbance. After a discussion, it was decided that a letter should be written to the owner informing them that the area should be restored, and also providing information about designated scenic roads; the Land Trust should also be informed of the issue.
A. Cummings also noted a problem on Sherman Turnpike that she had observed; she stated that all the vegetation was disturbed in the vicinity of 50 Sherman Turnpike. A. Pardee will look into if this work was done by the Highway Department and, if not, a letter similar to the one going out to the Old Hattertown Road owner will be sent to the Sherman Turnpike property owner.
-Other issues: A Pardee stated that the owner of 63 Mountain Road, which is currently being developed, is concerned about the condition of a tree that had been required to be protected. The owner has asked to remove and replace the tree. After a discussion, A. Pardee said she would provide mapping to the commissioners showing the tree so that they could individually look at the tree and discuss the possible removal at a future meeting.
2. Town Plan of Conservation & Development 2018: 2008 Plan Revision Recommendations to be submitted to the office by email. Planning@townofreddingct.org. Discussion of progress; setting of additional special meetings.
The Commission reviewed the chapter assignments and the status of chapter revisions.
They also discussed how the commission would obtain updated data for some of the
charts in the Town Plan. The entire plan was sent out to the commissioners via a
dropbox; the commission discussed the process of downloading individual chapters, revising them, then uploading them back to the dropbox so that a working copy would be available to all. A. Pardee also asked to have revised chapters emailed to her so that she could provide a hard copy working copy to John Hayes, and also have one available in the Planning Office.
There was a general discussion regarding logistics and deadlines with A. Pardee agreeing to get dates of deadlines and also information regarding possible extensions. There was also a discussion of the budget available to complete the text as well as mapping.
The commission decided to add meeting dates to hold workshops to review chapters a few at a time. The first meeting will be at 6:30 on June 19th; A. Pardee said she would find a meeting place as there is a Conservation Commission meeting in the Town House that night. Chapters 1 -3 will be addressed at that meeting. Chapters 4-6 will be discussed at the regularly scheduled meeting on June 26th, which will also begin at 6:30 if possible. The July 10th meeting will also begin at 6:30 and Chapters 7-9 will be discussed, then a Special Meeting whill be held on July 17th to discuss Chapter 10.
1. Scenic Road Monitoring. This item was discussed before Item 2 under Administrative.
2. Subdivision Regulation Revisions: S.R. 4.5. Discussion.
John Hayes reviewed specifics needed re: minimum rectangle. Draft revisions of S.R. 4.5 and 4.8 to be submitted prior to the next meeting for discussion.
3. Draft Driveway Easement & Maintenance Agreement. Received 7/11/17. Updated version reviewed by Counsel. Discussion of Commission’s review.
Jim Bacon will draft his suggestions regarding the arbitration clause and will copy Commission Counsel for his review.
4. IHZ Status. Discussion for action.
Nancy King will schedule a meeting with the First Selectman and members of the IHZ Subcommittee. J. Hayes stressed the need to move quickly due to the current state of the state economy.
5. Discussion of solution to prevent truck and tour bus traffic on narrow roads, i.e. GPS companies. Seek help from legislators.
6. Planning Commission needs schedule for reconstruction of town roads for the season.
7 Reference App. #504, Mountainside Estates. 40 Mountain Road. Jay Keillor
requests permission to move the driveway to the south. Site Walk 2/25/18. Report
from J. Hayes.
8. Changes to IHZ overlay zone on Old Mill Road.
9. Cul-de-sac Design and Sight Lines, Subdivision Regulations, Section 4.3 and Road Regulations. Meeting of Planning and Zoning designees with Highway Superintendent needed per Meadow Edge problem 3/22/16. Discussion re new dimensions.
10. Establish West Redding Center as an attractive Cultural Center.
IV. CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
On the motion of C. Cilo, and the second of S.Gagnonthe Commission voted unanimously to adjourn the meeting at 8:20 p.m.