Select Page

Minutes of Region 9 Board of Education, 07/19/2016

AGENDA: Region 9 Board of Education

RECEIVED 07/26/2016 9:35am
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

REGION 9 REGULAR BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING
July 19, 2016
MINUTES

ATTENDANCE
Region 9 Board of Education members:  M. D’Agostino, V. Hancock, C. Hocker, W. King, M. Lewis
Administration:  T. McMorran, P. Sullivan, G. Pin, S. Pierson Ugol
Others:  None

Mr. Hancock called the meeting of the Region 9 Board of Education to order at 7:30 pm in the Joel Barlow Media Center.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion:  move that the Region 9 Board of Education approve the minutes of the June 8, 2016 Region 9 Special District Meeting as submitted.  M. Lewis, W. King.  Approved.  Unanimous.

Motion:  move that the Region 9 Board of Education approve the minutes of the Region 9 Regular Board of Education Meeting as submitted.  C. Hocker noted following corrections to the minutes:

Page 2 of 4, first Motion to read as follows:
Motion:  move that the Region 9 Board of Education approve the 2017 Field Trip to Quebec as outlined and discussed.  Coppinger, Hocker.  Approved.  7-1-0.  Mrs. Gombos voted against the motion.
Page 3 of 4, first Motion to read as follows:
DISCUSSION AND ACTION ON APPROVAL OF CONTRACT FOR ASSISTANT SUPERINTENDENT/HEAD OF SCHOOL
Motion:  move that the Region 9 Board of Education authorize the Chair and the Superintendent to sign the contract with Gina Pin as Assistant Superintendent/Head of School, pending review by legal counsel, with the details similar to what was discussed in executive session.  Lewis, Gombos.   Approved.  7-0-1.  Mr. D’Agostino abstained.

Motion:  move to approve minutes as corrected by Mr. Hocker.  M. Lewis, W. King.  Approved.  Unanimous.

P. Coppinger arrived at 7:34 p.m.

PUBLIC COMMENT – None.

BOARD MEMBER COMMENT
W. King expressed gratitude to M. Maday for her exemplary service. M. D’Agostino echoed W. King’s comment also recognizing M. Maday for her years of service to the Board.  All Board members expressed their gratitude and their sentiments.  P. Sullivan advised M. Maday has moved out of Redding and is retiring.  They will need to look for a person to do the minutes for all three districts.

T.Johnston arrived at 7:36 p.m.

DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTIONS
A.  Acceptance of Gifts – G. Pin

  1. Thirty-foot Flagpole – from the Girls Softball Booster Team – to be installed right at the top of the hill on the softball field. No flag currently at this location.  M. D’Agostino questioned if anyone checked with Zoning, Building and other Town Department on whether there were any code requirements in putting up the flagpole.

 Motion:  move to accept the flagpole gift with, much appreciation. T. Johnston, W. King.  Approved.  Unanimous.

  1. Joel Barlow Portrait – from Henry Egan (Easton resident) – Mr. Egan painted a life-size portrait of Joel Barlow. He is an accomplished artist who has been painting for many years.  There is a story behind the painting which Gina suggests typing up, framing and placing near the displayed portrait.  It will be framed and installed by the auditorium with special lighting; In time for the 250th anniversary of Redding.  M. D’Agostino questioned if there was great value in the painting, for protection purposes.  G. Pin advised it would be framed, with alarm on frame & secured to the wall by the framer with an Artist’s Plexiglas, which will be periodically replaced by the framer, as needed.

Motion:  to accept the Portrait of Joel Barlow, with great appreciation, as a gift from Mr. Henry Egan.  C. Hocker, P. Coppinger.  Approved.  Unanimous.

B.  Technology Acceptable Use Form B
G. Pin advised they are currently using the Technology Form in the approved policy (6141.321) which is very old and implies we are pleased to bring the internet to Joel Barlow High School. She suggested the use of the revised Regulation Form B since it is more comprehensive and up-to-date. The form governs areas, such as:  security of networks, student owned one-to-one devices, charging capabilities, as well as safety concerns regarding printing, passwords and privacy.  The Board reviewed the form and a discussion took place on data protection, use of network printers and Parent’s Acceptance of the Agreement.  C. Hocker didn’t recall having to approve a Regulation in the past.  It was confirmed that only Policies require board approval and not Regulations.  G. Pin advised the Regulation accompanies the Policy and occasionally needs to be updated accordingly.  While it does not require board approval, it is for advisory purposes.  It was agreed that the revised Regulation be used in place of the existing regulation form.  No further action necessary.

C.  Policy Review and Approval – 2nd Readings
The following policies were presented for approval:

  • Policy 3320.1:  Purchasing Procedures
  • Policy 5113(a):  Students – Attendance and Excuses
  • Policy 5113.2:  Students – Truancy
  • Policy 4115:  Evaluation and Support Program
  • Policy 4131(a):  Personnel – Certified Professional Development

The final versions of each policy were reviewed and C. Hocker noted the following changes to be made:

Policy 3320.1 – page 2:  eliminate item ‘g’ and retain item ‘5.’
Policy 5113.2(c) – first paragraph, line two:  eliminate “(item #777)”
Policy 5113 – questioned page one, the definition of ‘chronic’ absenteeism. T. McMorran explained these are the rules and wording from Hartford which we must comply with.

Motion:  move to approve all, with suggested changes noted above to Policy 3320.1 and Policy 5113.2(c).  P. Coppinger, C. Hocker.  Approved.  Unanimous.

ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS
–   G. Pin – Hiring is complete with all new hire teachers in place while staying on budget.  Some have already started i.e., “Behavior Therapists”, which are now referred to as “Behavior Technicians”.
–    S. Pierson Ugol – Curriculum work going very well this summer, especially K-12 science work.   As a Science Leadership team, all are immersed in the new model science instruction with the standards we will follow in CT.  Middle schools and High school focus more on structural model than content changes.
–   P. Sullivan – Transfer Report and Object Summary reports were sent to all.  Still receiving invoices thru year end.  Getting ready to close out but not quite there yet.  Auditors were in last week and will be in again in Sept. to finish the audit.  Health Insurance – Cash number is not a final number.  Claims for June were about $260,000.  Advised that while figure was a little higher, we should be ok.  Waiting on final numbers to be received in next week or so.
–   T. Johnston questioned the Object Summary.  Some of the large “balance” items – individual items that have either small negatives or small positives.  Just wondered if there was some story behind the salary lines; Underspent and overspent.  P. Sullivan advised that legal expenses for the year were overspent (account 330).  While Special Education is an excess cost, it is still underspent; reimbursements and tuition accounts also high but are off setting.  Salary payments tend to offset.  Professional services and tuition – no offset.  Changes in students expected at start of year but then changed.   Discussion continued on how there is a commensurate on underspent on salary.  P. Coppinger suggested this be revisited next meeting.
–   T. McMorran – Update on Building Project.  Corresponded with appropriate department in Hartford and received a response that we have been moved forward, with a priority.  Waiting for an audit to be scheduled.  No further action on our part at this time.  P. Sullivan advised of a new director in that department who is trying to move things along and close out a lot.  W. King questioned if they will come to Central Office and P. Sullivan confirmed they will.
–   T. McMorran – attended the Harvard Graduate School of Education Summer Institute for Leadership for Principals last week.  They looked at strategic planning, teacher evaluations, school culture, the role of special education, and the design for learning technology in the change process.  Advised of a very productive, useful week and thanked the Board for the opportunity to attend.

PUBLIC COMMENT – None.

BOARD OF EDUCATION COMMITTEE REPORTS
–   W. King requested some detail on the Object Summary large fluctuations at the next meeting.  P. Sullivan to provide.
–   M. D’Agostino suggested meeting in September to view the complete staffing report.  Also questioned if there will be a parent letter going out informing them of all the ‘new hire’ teachers.
–   W. King advised that a meeting is scheduled for the Audit Committee in August and one for the Pension Committee next week.  More to follow.
–  P. Coppinger advised the Financial Advisory Committee (FAC) meeting scheduled for today was cancelled.  It was agreed at the last meeting that P. Coppinger would contact everyone asking for feedback on this committee, which he has, but to-date has received none.  If still no replies by August, he will suggest dismantling this committee.
–   T. Johnson questioned the Regional Center for the Arts.  G. Pin adjusted budgets and found money for students that are interested in attending.  Four are returning, budgeted for one extra, and then received an additional five.  Two have decided not to return.  Still adjusting schedules as parents advise of interest so a more accurate number to be provided in August.

BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
–  P. Coppinger mentioned he would miss Mary.  Since arriving a few minutes late, he missed the earlier acknowledgement of Mary’s retirement and years of service.
–  P. Sullivan advised that on Thursday night there will be a Joint Health Insurance committee if anyone would like to attend.
–  M. Lewis questioned if the Bus Depot Issue has been resolved.  P. Sullivan advised that Easton is having a meeting on Monday and Redding on Tuesday to discuss the issue.

ADJOURNMENT
Motion to adjourn made by M. Lewis
Seconded by W. King
Meeting adjourned at 8:20 p.m.

Submitted by Sharon Luciano

Accessibility Tools
hide