REDDING SAFETY COMMITTEE
THURSDAY, DECEMBER 5, 2019
TOWN HALL CONFERENCE ROOM
Filed subject to approval.
Jeff Hanson, Chair, Highway Department
Krista Gramer, Finance Department
Zachary Smith, Finance Department
Mark Lubus, Building Department
Meredith Jones, Senior Center
Alice Smith, Selectman’s Office
Helen Gore, Redding Historical Society
Cordy Crane, John Read Middle School
Rob Blick, Park and Recreation Department
Tom Feroleto, Redding Elementary School
Vicki Cram, Central Office/Region 9
Chair Hanson called the meeting to order at 4:04PM.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES FROM THE THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2019 MEETING.
MOTION: Ms. Gramer made a motion to approve the minutes of the Thursday, September 5, 2019 meeting. Chair Hanson seconded the motion. Discussion followed concerning the Redding Historical Society’s property and who is liable to take care of it.
MOTION: Ms. Gramer made a motion to approve the minutes of the Thursday, September 5, 2019 meeting with an amendment. This amendment will confirm what party is responsible for the Redding Historical Society property. Follow-up will happen after this meeting to confirm this information. Ms. Crane seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous, and the motion carried.
OLD BUSINESS UPDATES.
Chair Hanson said the speedbumps on Hopewell Woods Road have been painted and this item can be removed from later agendas.
Chair Hanson said nothing has happened with the cracked well head at the Redding Historical Society. He said this item can be tabled until the next Safety Meeting.
Chair Hanson said the tagged trees on the Parade Path are an ongoing item and that updates will continue to be shared with the Safety Committee.
Chair Hanson said there will be no pedestrian crossings established near the West Redding Railroad Station.
Ms. Crane said the reunification drill that is planned for May 2020 will most likely include the entire JRMS student body as opposed to just the Fifth Grade. She said that all staff at the school will be involved as well as the Redding Police Department. She will update the Safety Committee at the next meeting about this.
Chair Hanson said the Redding Historical Society field could be mowed by D&H Palmer Landscaping. He said that this needs to be budgeted in for the future.
Ms. Gramer updated the Safety Committee about four workers compensation incidents for the Town of Redding:
– A Transfer Station employee injured their eye while using a broom to prod an object. There was no lost time.
– A Police Officer hit a deer with their car. The officer injured their wrist but there was no lost time.
– A Police Officer received a tick bite. There was no lost time.
– A Police Officer passed out at work. There was no lost time.
Ms. Smith discussed slippery hand rails around the Town Office building during snow and ice storms. Discussion followed on how to keep the rails ice free and how to monitor them.
Ms. Cram updated the Safety Committee about six incidents at the schools:
– A student fell and injured their finger during the Summer Day Camp.
– A Paraprofessional tripped and fell. There was no lost time.
– A Paraprofessional fell while running after a student. They hurt their finger. There was no lost time.
– A Custodian had an A/C unit door hit him on the mouth and hurt his teeth. There was no lost time.
– A Paraprofessional slipped on the floor. There was no lost time.
– A Substitute Teacher tripped on a chain sitting on the floor of the JRMS Gym. They broke their shoulder and received a laceration. There was lost time.
Discussion followed concerning where to place the chain in the JRMS Gym as well as how staff and students can avoid tripping on it.
Discussion about the JRMS and RES parking lots and plowing/shoveling/salting followed. Chair Hanson said the Highway Department will plow and salt the parking lots. He said they do not shovel or salt walkways and other areas.
Ms. Cram said she will follow up with Chair Hanson about the schools and plowing/salting.
Ms. Smith said she will make signs to place near the hand rails when it is icy/slippery outside.
The next meeting is Thursday, March 5th at 4:00PM.
MOTION: Ms. Gramer made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Ms. Cram seconded the motion. The vote was unanimous, and the motion carried.