Redding Safety Committee Meeting
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Redding Town Hall
The meeting was called to order at 4:05 p.m.
Present: Mark O’Donnell (co-chair), Jeff Hanson (co-chair), Krista Gramer (secretary), Annette D’Augelli, Helen Gore, Tom Feroleto, Alice Smith
Helen Gore noted a correction to the December 1, 2016 minutes: Location of meeting was Redding Police Department. Minutes of the December 1, 2016 meeting were then approved. (D’Augelli/Hanson)
• Security enhancements and upgrades are still pending for the Community Center. The Safety Committee will notify Rob Blick and Willie Roman by letter indicating that details of the enhancements along with the cost of the materials should be planned and discussed with the First Selectman as necessary. The Safety Committee should be notified of completed upgrades.
• Safety protocol for food pantry access at the Heritage Center is pending. The Safety Committee will notify Angelica Fontanez by letter of the safety concerns and request a protocol be established.
• Tom Feroleto and Mark O’Donnell indicated the installation of security cameras at RES and JRMS is ongoing and operational.
• Alice Smith indicated the lighting in the rear lot of the Annex building has not been repaired. Suggestions for motion detector lights, brighter lights, solar lights, additional lights or changing the angle of existing lights were discussed. These options will be conveyed on a work order to the Facilities Department.
• Jeff Hanson reported that salt applications for snow and ice removal at JRMS have been judicious throughout the winter season. Jeff Hanson will report on the findings, if any, of the effect on the water once the next results are received.
Board of Education:
Tom Feroleto noted a substitute teacher sustained a trip and fall on a crate in the middle of the classroom floor. Details of the incident and the preventability were unknown. Other injuries at the schools during the last quarter are unknown.
Krista Gramer reported three non-preventable injuries:
-A Transfer Station employee sustained injury to the leg due to their foot slipping between the boards of a pallet. Pallet has since been removed.
-Parent of Park & Rec attendee injured knee while playing independently at gym facility.
-Two students sustained head and jaw injuries from collision during Park & Rec activity.
Annette D’Augelli reported that a request has been made to Facilities to have the door stops changed at the Heritage Center. Currently, there are wedges used under the doors to hold them open but they pose a trip hazard.
Alice Smith noted concern of pot holes throughout the Town Hall parking lot. Jeff Hanson indicated the parking lot is expected to be repaved at the beginning of fiscal year 2018. In the interim, pothole repair will be done.
Committee approved notification to Facilities Department Head, Willie Roman, requiring Facilities staff attendance at the Safety Committee meetings by either department head or member of staff. (Smith/O’Donnell)
Helen Gore noted the Historical Society had recently secured liability insurance on the barn from a new insurance carrier.
Thursday, June 1, 2017 @ 4:00 PM – Heritage Center
The meeting was adjourned at 4:44 p.m. (Hanson/O’Donnell)
Submitted by Krista Gramer, Secretary