Select Page

Minutes of Region 9 Board of Education, 02/20/2018

AGENDA: Region 9 Board of Education

RECEIVED 02/26/2018 1:33pm
Michele R. Grande – Redding Town Clerk

REGION 9 BOARD OF EDUCATION REGULAR MEETING
Joel Barlow High School – Library Learning Commons
Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Minutes

ATTENDANCE
Region 9 Board of Education Members: D’Agostino, Coppinger, Hocker, Denny, Graziano, Hancock, Williams, Johnston
Administration: McMorran, Pin, Reiss
Others: 35 members of staff and public and videographer

CALL TO ORDER
Mr. D’Agostino called the meeting to order at 7:36 p.m. in the Joel Barlow High School Library Learning Commons.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move to approve the minutes from the January 23, 2018 Regular Meeting of the Easton, Redding and Region 9 Joint Boards of Education and the minutes from the January 31, 2018 Regular Meeting of the Region 9 Board of Education with following correction:
On page 3 of the January 31, 2018 regular Meeting of the Region 9 Board of Education Minutes:
Replace RFP to FFC (Fields and Facilities Committee).
Hocker, Hancock. Approved. Mr. Johnston abstained.

PUBLIC COMMENT
Buster Whaley, Windy Hill Road, Redding – a tenth grade JBHS student spoke about SRO’s at the high school and how it would impact the students.

Diane MacLean, Blueberry Hill Road, Redding – a JBHS parent and a SRO in another town spoke about benefits of having a SRO at the high school.

Heather Whaley, Windy Hill Road Redding – spoke about importance of recognizing problem behaviors in students.

Leann Bacaro, Norton Road, Easton – suggested the staff at JBHS be allowed training in use of fire arms and to carry them while at school for better security.

Chris Seidman, Sport Hill Road, Redding and Cynthia Roy, Redding – both spoke about the need for a SRO in high school and ways to address the problem of student’s vaping.

Jeff Fliegleman, Pocahontas Road, Redding – indicated that a SRO officer would be a deterrent for students with drugs and violence.
Mia Capella, Black Rock Turnpike, Redding; Wayne Nichols, Redding; Eva Ortiz, Cricklewood Road, Redding; Nancy Gregoire, Deer Hill Road, Redding and Joe Miceli, Picketts Ridge Road, Redding all spoke about the need for a SRO at JBHS.

Susan Winters, Seventy Acre Road, Redding – provided information about a survey taken in Redding in 2015 with the majority in favor of hiring a SRO to reduce school problems.

Mr. D’Agostino thanked everyone for speaking and said that the Board of Education takes student safety seriously and encouraged everyone to attend the public forum scheduled for Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 7:30 p.m. in the Joel Barlow High School Auditorium.

BOARD MEMBER COMMENT
Mrs. Graziano said that the public forum will be a way to gather more information from students and staff and move forward with the issue for safer schools. Mrs. Williams and Mr. Johnston asked the board to consider adding discussion about SRO on the next agenda. Mr. Hancock and Ms. Denny spoke about the diversity of opinions and thanked everyone for their input.

MOTION: move to move item III. Student Comment to item VI. Discussion and Possible Action. Coppinger, Hocker. Approved. Unanimous.

STUDENT COMMENT
Makenzie Wenzel spoke about the Connecticut STEM Fair, scholarships, the art display at JBHS and Sacred Heart University in Fairfield. She also spoke about the Chess Team’s accomplishments and upcoming events such as the winter show at JBHS, “The Lark” and the Tri-district concert. Mr. Kevin Hines will be coming to JBHS to speak to students.

DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION: REVIEW OF 2017-2018 STAFFING DOCUMENT AND ENROLLMENT NUMBERS
Dr. Pin spoke about staffing and student enrollment and how course offerings and schedules are assembled.

DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION: STUDENT ACTIVITY FEES AND PARTICIPATION
Dr. Pin spoke about an activity fee, a sports participation fee and the fields and facility use fee. The fields and facility use fee is collected when an outside organization, e.g. summer camp, uses the fields and facilities. Mr. D’Agostino suggested tracking students’ participation in sports since the fees have been instituted.

DISCUSSION AND POSSIBLE ACTION: PROPOSED 2018-2019 OPERATING BUDGET
The Administration offered a proposed budget as a starting point for further deliberations. The budget presentation will be available online. Dr. Pin spoke about items in the budget and changes from last year. Teachers who have left or retired have not been replaced and student enrollment is down from last year. Much of the increase in this proposed budget is due to an increase in fixed costs, such as transportation costs. In addition, there is a significant anticipated increase in the cost of special education. The numbers in the proposal are likely to change after the Administration finalizes its staffing plan for next year. Budget workshops are scheduled for March 1 and March 8.

ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS
Dr. Pin spoke about Black History month and that students are writing about empathy and tolerance. Lockdown procedures and security that is in place was discussed. Mr. Reiss spoke about the anticipated special education tuition increase. He provided updates on the Budget Object summary and the Health Insurance Reserves.

BOARD OF EDUCATION COMMITTEE REPORTS
Mr. Coppinger spoke about the Transportation Committee meeting. Mr. Hocker spoke about the Fields and Facilities Committee, including vendors attending the walk through in response to the security improvements RFP, for which many bids are expected. The Facilities and Fields Committee recommends applying funds obtained from Fields Usage fees for the repair of the cross country trail.

Motion: move to approve $2,709.00 from Fields Usage fees for Cross-Country track maintenance. Hocker, Hancock. Approved. Unanimous.

PUBLIC COMMENT
Jeff Fliegleman, Pocahontas Road, Redding – suggested that when the Board proposes their budget, we continue to offer the same quality of courses to the incoming students that were offered in the past.
Susan Winters, Seventy Acre Road, Redding – had questions regarding the Public Forum scheduled for Tuesday, February 27, 2018 in the JBHS auditorium.

BOARD MEMBER COMMENT
Mr. Hocker observed that the upcoming staffing document will help clarify the proposed budget.

ADJOURNMENT
Motion: move that the meeting be adjourned. Coppinger, Hocker. Approved. Unanimous.

The meeting of the Region 9 Board of Education was adjourned at 10:34 p.m.

Submitted by
Chris Hocker, Region 9 Board of Education Secretary

Recorded by
Deborah DeLorenzo

Accessibility Tools
hide