Present: Vanessa Alward, John Board, Linda Mitchell, Barbara Ryhmaun, Kate Schwartz
The meeting was called to order by Vanessa Alward at 7:50 pm in the conference room of the Redding Town Office Building.
Meeting schedule: following discussion, the following motion was made.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: The approval of minutes of the previous meeting by Linda Mitchell. Seconded by John Board. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF OTHER TOWN’S TEEN CENTERS
Members shared their findings about area teen centers.
The subcommittee members will continue to gather information about the teen centers in other area towns.
Subcommittee members surveyed or will survey the following towns:
- Bethel, Kate (shared her findings)
- Monroe, Vanessa (no teen center, as of now)
- Easton, Joe (not present)
- Ridgefield, Linda (shared some information but will provide more at next meeting)
- New Canaan, Barbara (will share information at next meeting)
- Wilton, John & Joe (John shared his findings)
- Trumbull, Vanessa (Vanessa shared her findings)
- New Britain, John (John shared his findings)
- Westport/Weston, Linda (Linda shared a little information—she and Kate will be visiting next Thursday)
- Danbury, John (shared his findings)
- Newtown, Vanessa (Vanessa shared some findings, but will be visiting teen center later)
- New Fairfield, Barbara (no teen center, as of now)
John Board agreed to compile basic findings into a spreadsheet (to compare and show information that could be useful in creating a teen center).
DISCUSSION OF MIDDLE SCHOOL EVENT AT BOYS & GIRLS CLUB
Vanessa Alward and Linda Mitchell discussed last week’s after-school event at the Boys & Girls Club and what was offered. They were able to see what worked, what the students liked to do and how that could be applied to creating a teen center and/or teen offerings.
DISCUSSION OF SURVEY FOR TEENS AND PARENTS
Discussion of formatting a survey of needs and wants for parents and teens followed. Vanessa Alward and Linda Mitchell suggested a person they know who is willing to formulate a survey and tabulate the results and to invite her to the next meeting. It was determined that the subcommittee should gather additional information before proceeding with a survey. Also discussed was how/when survey could be distributed (during lunch, homeroom, via email).
DISCUSSION OF FUNDING IDEAS
DISCUSSION OF LOCATION IDEAS
Discussed possibility of a West Redding or Georgetown location as well as existing structures. Tabled until further information is gathered and discussed.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Mitchell, Board. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned by 9:15 pm
Submitted by Kate Schwartz, Recording Secretary
NEXT MEETING, WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2015, 7:45 PM
This is motion creating the subcommittee.
Motion: move that the Redding Board of Selectmen empower a subcommittee to study the feasibility of establishment and implementation of a teen center in Redding, with a report and recommendation by March 1, 2016. Karvelis, Thompson. Approved. Unanimous.