Present: Vanessa Alward, John Board, Linda Mitchell, Barbara Ryhmaun, Kate Schwartz
The meeting was called to order by Vanessa Alward at 7:55 pm in the conference room of the Redding Town Office Building.
Meeting schedule: following discussion, the following motion was made.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: The approval of minutes of the previous meeting by John Board. Seconded by Barbara Ryhmaun. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF OTHER TOWN’S TEEN CENTERS
Members shared their findings about area teen centers.
The subcommittee members will continue to gather information about the teen centers in other area towns.
Subcommittee members surveyed or will survey the following towns:
- Bethel, Kate (shared findings in previous meeting)
- Monroe, Vanessa (no teen center, as of now)
- Easton, Joe (not present)
- Ridgefield, Linda (shared findings)
- New Canaan, Barbara (shared findings)
- Wilton, John & Joe (John shared his findings at last meeting)
- Trumbull, Vanessa (Vanessa shared her findings)
- New Britain, John (John shared his findings at last meeting)
- Westport/Weston, Linda (Linda and Kate shared their findings)
- Danbury, John (shared his findings)
- Newtown, Vanessa (shared findings)
- New Fairfield, Barbara (no teen center, as of now)
DISCUSSION OF EXISTING AMMENITIES AND CONDITIONS IN REDDING
Barbara created diagrams and lists of what is currently available to use as a starting point to capture and evaluate what is currently offered to teenagers in Redding. These include in-town non-school programs/activities/clubs and services. Barbara will send diagrams and lists to group for us to look at more carefully and add to, if necessary.
Motion: John Board made a motion to define age range and to identify possible space for teen center. Motion denied until we issue a survey and gather more information. We will address it at a later date.
DISCUSSION POINTS AS TAKE-AWAYS FROM OUR TEEN CENTER VISITS
- teen advisory board is key
- consider a mentorship program (could work towards volunteer hours—it’s a job and a purpose and to keep the teen center running strongly while bringing in more students)
Consider calling it a “youth center” which would imply serving multiple ages.
DISCUSSION OF SURVEY FOR TEENS AND PARENTS
Discussion of formatting a survey of needs and wants for parents and teens followed. Vanessa Alward and Linda Mitchell suggested a person (Lenore Pranzo) who is willing to formulate a survey and tabulate the results and to invite her to the next meeting. It was determined that the subcommittee should gather additional information before proceeding with a survey. Also discussed was how/when survey could be distributed (during lunch, homeroom, via email). Basic survey elements were discussed (age/gender/grade/town) as well as details such as:
- what are you currently involved in
- what would you like to see as in a teen center (with a list as well as open ended)
- what would you not want a teen center to be
- how often would you go to the teen center
Vanessa will create a rough draft of a survey, circulate it and board members will review and add to it. Goal is to have it completed by our next meeting (January).
DISCUSSION OF UPCOMING EVENTS
Linda Mitchell shared information about two upcoming middle school events which could help determine what tweens/teens are interested in (what works, what doesn’t, etc.).
DISCUSSION OF FUNDING IDEAS
DISCUSSION OF LOCATION IDEAS
Discussed possibility of a West Redding or Georgetown location as well as existing structures. Tabled until further information is gathered and discussed.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Mitchell, Board. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned by 9:35 pm
Submitted by Kate Schwartz, Recording Secretary
NEXT MEETING, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13, 2016, 7:45 PM