Town of Redding
Teen Center Sub-Committee
May 19, 2016
Present: Vanessa Alward, Linda Mitchell, Kate Schwartz
The meeting was called to order by Vanessa Alward at 7:10 pm in the community room of the Redding Community Center.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: The approval of minutes of the previous meeting by Linda Mitchell. Seconded by Kate Schwartz. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF EXISTING AMMENITIES AND CONDITIONS IN REDDING
Continued discussion of how to tap into and leverage existing structures and organizations for teen activities and space. Discussed which spaces at the Redding Community Center might work well.
- Band space
- Movie nights
- Programs (art, music, video games, etc.)
GENERAL DISCUSSION POINTS
- Collaboration options (Park and Rec, Heritage Center, Boys and Girls Club, churches, synagogues, New Pond Farm, the Grange, high school cafeteria)
- Staffing: first year, parent volunteers
- Rotating space for dances, movie nights, events
- Ask high school students to dream/brainstorm: what they would like to see in a teen center and/or programming (informal focus group). Kate will create a blurb for an email—will ask committee members to send it to high school students.
- Invite student council to next meeting or a separate meeting for discussion (to be determined)
- Linda and Kate will look into the Grange and New Pond Farm to see what might be available for teen programs and space
- Invite Julia Pemberton to next meeting
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Alward, Mitchell. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned by 8:50 pm.
Submitted by Kate Schwartz, Recording Secretary
NEXT MEETING: WEDNESDAY, JUNE 21, 2016, 7:30 PM