Town of Redding
Teen Center Sub-Committee
June 27, 2016
Present: Vanessa Alward, Linda Mitchell, Kate Schwartz, Barbara Rhymaun, John Board
The meeting was called to order by Vanessa Alward at 7:40 pm at the Redding Town Hall.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: The approval of minutes of the previous meeting by Linda Mitchell. Seconded by Vanessa Alward. Approved. Unanimous.
DISCUSSION OF INFORMAL SURVEY TO DISTRIBUTE TO MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS
- Kate will send survey to Committee
- Committee members to each send informal survey to 5-7 middle and high school students and forward answers to Kate
- Kate will compile answers for next meeting
DISCUSSION OF EXISTING AMMENITIES AND CONDITIONS IN REDDING
Continued discussion of how to tap into and leverage existing structures and organizations for teen activities and space. Discussed spaces at the Redding Community Center.
GENERAL DISCUSSION POINTS
- Collaboration options (Park and Rec, Heritage Center, Boys and Girls Club, churches, synagogues, New Pond Farm, the Grange, high school cafeteria)
- Linda to connect with Sarah about dance history (as part of offering programs for teens)
- Discussion about the value of having a youth services director (John Board to write up a brief job description to explore what that could look like)
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Linda Mitchell, John Board. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting was adjourned by 8:40 pm.
Submitted by Kate Schwartz, Recording Secretary
NEXT MEETING: TBD