Present: A. Atamian, T. Eubanks, T. Flagg, J. Miller, D. Pattee, R. Regan, D. Robinson
Also present: R. Gervais (Veolia Water) and one member of the public
Chairman Regan called the regular meeting of the WPCC to order at 7:35 pm in the Hearing Room the Redding Town Hall
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the February 20 2013 meeting be accepted as corrected. Pattee, Atamian. Approved, 5-0-2. Mr. Eubanks and Mr. Flagg abstained.
Corrections: page 1, under Veolia report, second item, 53,900 gpd, and last sentence of discussion of bracket, should read…”with 50% of life expectancy remaining.”
REPORT FROM VEOLIA WATER
Operations: Mr. Gervais highlighted his written report.
- Wastings: 19,534 gallons of sludge, of which 13, 000 gallons were thickened sludge, shipped to Naugatuck facility for final disposal.
- There has been an increase in sludge with the use of the PACL, the suspended solids have increased,but the material does not seem to be clogging the membranes.
- Average daily flow: 55,400 gpd
- PACL for phosphorus removal (instead of Alum) is working well
- Maintenance: 52 Preventative work orders were completed during the month.
- Cleaning of membranes: Mr. Gervais has noticed an increase in the deterioration of the strands of the membranes, probably due to the cleanings.
- Phosphorus: Mr. Pattee indicated that he had a notice that the State was changing the permit levels for phosphorus. The new permit will limit the effluent phosphorus to 1.8#
Safety railing update: Mr. Gervais had another quote for railings, but is expecting another
Hoist & Bracket to hold membranes update: Two additional quotes for hoists were received. Commission members questioned the quotes. Mr. Miller suggested that Mr. Gervais work with Mr. Oatley to provide a summary of the quotes, how they would be used, the costs, and their recommendation to the Commission. There were additional questions regarding the brackets/frames to hold the membranes. Commission members were concerned about their use with the current membranes and the newer longer membranes.
CBYD PROCESS UPDATE
Mr. Miller indicated that the WPCC needed to re-register with CBYD by May 10, 2013, an annual process. He will provide CBYD with the contact information for Veolia who handles the mark-outs.
Mr. Miller and Mr. Regan met with Sal Gaetano of Meadow Ridge. The Executive Director, Lisa Kinsella, was not available for the meeting. They explained the CBYD process and the WPCC proposal. They followed up with a letter covering the information for Ms. Kinsella. To date, there has been no response.
Mr. Miller and Mr. Regan will contact the Redding Woods Condo Association President to arrange with a meeting to cover the CBYD information.
Mr. Regan allowed the one member of the public to comment. Scott Smith, Rock House Road, was present but had no comment. He indicated he was interested in the work of the Commission.
FINANCIAL STATUS AND APPROVAL OF INVOICES
The balance in the Usage account as of March 20, 2013, was $82,992.93. The next billing is April 1, 2013. The balance in the Assessment account as of March 20, 2013 is $23,634.61.
Open invoices were reviewed.
- Ace Deluca Hardware, dated 2/28/13, $367.69
- CL&P, 3/7/13, #51524634029, $2,499.97
- Transcanada, 3/12/13, #508116, $4,184.68
- AT&T, 3/9/2013, $383.56
- Veolia monthly services for February 2013, for $26,107.35
- Veolia Reimburseables for December and January, $36,050.33
Motion: move to approve payment of invoices as listed above, pending receipt of funds. Regan, Pattee. Approved. Unanimous.
Invoices not approved:
- Veolia monthly invoice for March, $26,107.35
The amount of Board of Finance approved loans to WPCC, as of March 20, 2013 is $360,713.75.
The amount due from GLDC, as of March 1, 2013, $1,042,697.18
REQUEST FOR ADDITIONAL FUNDING
Mr. Regan attended the Board of Finance meeting on Monday, February 25, 2013 to request an additional loan of $100,000. The Board of Finance approved a loan of $75,000, and suggested that the WPCC provide a financial report every three months. The Commission members discussed the need to provide additional financial detail to the Board of Finance.
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
The WPCC Charter calls for the election of officers in March every second year.
Mr. Miller nominated Richard Regan to the position of Chairman. The nomination was seconded by Mr. Robinson and unanimously approved.
Mr. Pattee nominated Todd Eubanks to the position of Vice Chairman. The nomination was seconded by Mr. Robinson and unanimously approved.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Pattee, Atamian. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 9:03 pm
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary