Present: A. Atamian, J. Bacon, T. Eubanks J. Fisher, J. Miller, D. Pattee
Also present. Batorski & Ciccone (Veolia), T. Lepoutre, K. Stauffer, & a representative of Meadow Ridge
Mr. Eubanks called the regular meeting of the WPCC to order at 7:31 pm in the Conference Room of the Town Office Building.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Motion: move that the minutes of the February 18, 2015 meeting be accepted as corrected. Bacon, Atamian. Approved,4-0-2. Mr. Pattee & Mr. Miller abstained
Correction: page 1, under Announcement, Mrs. Lepoutre is training her replacement, Katherine Stauffer; page 1, under Veolia Report, the flow rate ranges from 57,000 to63,000 gpd.
REPORT FROM VEOLIA WATER
A written report was submitted. Mr. Batorski highlighted the report and provided additional information.
- The plant operation achieved full compliance with DEEP NPDES permitted effluent discharge limitations, with one exception of a one-time BOD result of 49 mg/l
- New membranes continue to operative well and produce very high quality effluent discharge
- Methanol and PAC addition have been suspended without presenting any treatment issue.
- Work has been completed on modifications for facility O & M manual and maintenance cleaning program.
- One emergency alarm callout was for recycle wet well level transmitter failure. Loose connections were found; employees responded and completed rewiring to correct the problem.
- Compressor issue: both the solenoid and relief value on the compressor were found to be corroded. Both parts have been fixed and the compressor now works as designed.
- CT DEEP Craig Motasky was on site on February 2, 2015 for an inspection. He noted the plant was in great working condition and will follow up with a written report.
Call Before You Dig: a new proposal/contract was submitted by John Oatley. Mr. Miller suggested that Commission members review the document and schedule a discussion and action on the contract at the April meeting.
DISCUSSION AND ACTION ON REQUEST FOR MEADOW RIDGE TO INSTALL RESIDENT GARBAGE DISPOSALS IN KITCHENS
Mr. Miller reported he had a request from Meadow Ridge regarding installation of garbage disposals.
Mr. Bacon, speaking as a resident of Meadow Ridge, stated that many of the residents would like to have garbage disposals installed in their kitchens. He commented that most of the residents do not use their kitchen or do much cooking in their units, but they would like to have garbage disposals.
Mr. Pattee cited the WPCC Regulations, Section 5.4 C which strictly prohibits the use or installation of garbage disposal units. Mr. Pattee stated that use of garbage disposals creates an inorganic load on the treatment facility, creates solids, and potential sharp items which could damage the plant membranes.
In addition, the WPCC and Meadow Ridge reached an agreement in April 2007 that all garbage disposal units would be removed from the residential units as the units were refurbished. A copy of the specific WPCC regulation was provided to a representative of Meadow Ridge who was present for the meeting.
Mr. Bacon expressed a desire to reconsider allowing the disposal units for Meadow Ridge.
FINANCIAL STATUS AND APPROVAL OF INVOICES
The available balance in the Usage account as of March 18, 2015 is $79,394.40. The next billing will be done at the end of March.
Open invoices were reviewed.
- Frontier, $233.83
- Eversource (CL&P), $2,315.01
- Transcanada, $4,115.76
- Deluca Hardware, $64.36
- Redding Town Clerk, $30,00
- Veolia reimbursables for January, $16,071.48 subject to review by Mr. Regan
- Veolia monthly services for February 2015, 26,746.29
Motion: move to approve payment of invoices listed above, subject to review of Reimbursables by Mr. Regan. Pattee, Bacon. Approved. Unanimous.
Invoices not approved: Veolia monthly invoice for March, 2015, $26,746.29 and Veolia Reimbursables for February, $24,494.81
- The current balance in the Sewer Assessment Account is $26,641.30
- Board of Finance advance to WPCC as of June 15, 2014 was $1,225,713.75. A third advance for fiscal 2014-15 of $60,000 was taken in March 2014. The total advance amount allocated for the current fiscal year, 2014-15 is $237,350.
- The total now due from GSTD is $1,602,331.18
A review of the WPCC history and ordinance will be scheduled for the next meeting in April. A review of the Regulations will follow that discussion at the May meeting.
This was the last meeting that Terry Lepoutre would attend. She has been training her replacement, Katherine Stauffer over the past few weeks.
Motion: move that the WPCC thank Terry Lepoutre for her service to the Water Pollution Control Commission over the past four years. Bacon, Pattee. Approved. Unanimous.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Pattee, Miller. Approved. Unanimous.
The meeting adjourned at 810: pm
Submitted by Mary Maday