Select Page

Minutes of Water Pollution Control Commission, 12/15/2021

AGENDA: Water Pollution Control Commission

RECEIVED 12/23/2021 9:30am
Kimberly Keil - Redding Assistant Town Clerk

WATER POLLUTION CONTROL COMMISSION
Regular Meeting
Virtual Zoom Meeting
December 15, 2021

MINUTES
Present: Amy Atamian, Dave Pattee, Todd Eubanks, Vanessa McPherson, Kirby Klump.
Also, Present: Calos Pavia and Jeremy Nixon of Veolia. Emmy Bumagat, WPCC Administrator.

Amy Atamian called the meeting to order at 7:34 PM
ITEM 1: APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES OF THE NOVEMBER 17, 2021, MEETING.
MOTION: Approve minutes from the November 17, 2021, meeting. K. Klump, motion. D. Pattee, second. Approved unanimously.

ITEM 2: JIM BAULSIR FROM REDDING BEER COMPANY 7 MAIN ST PROPOSED FOOD SERVICE
Jim Baulsir, owner, of Redding Beer Company is going to be working in conjunction with Uncle Leo’s of Georgetown to provide bar food, brunch, and breakfast options.
Not planning on utilizing any dishes, everything will be on paper serving trays. Not planning on an increase of more than 150-300 GPD. They will be washing cooking instruments and following all necessary health protocols.  Current allocation is 1,250 GPD. No increase is necessary as the property is currently well within the allocated use

Will be open for food service from 12PM-10PM

A. Atamian asked where the food will be prepared. J. Baulsir stated that most food will be cooked inside the old kitchen inside of the Redding Beer Company Building. There is a grease trap from Aranci 67 (prior business).
NO MOTION NECESSARY, NO CHANGE IN ALLOCATION. REVIEW IN 1 YEAR.

ITEM 3: REPORT FROM VEOLIA WATER PLANT MANAGERS
Health and Safety
Veolia Water monthly safety training topics conducted in November 2021 included:

·         Cold stress and Winter Safety
This project has completed 21 years with no safety incidents.

Noteworthy Operational Information/Maintenance and PM
*       Wasted 32,783 gallons of sludge to the GBT
*       31,500 gallons of waste sludge hauled for off-site disposal
*       Membrane recovery dips completed
*       Good recovery is always made
*       Chemical Delivery
*       All the stock was used for the membrane recovery dip. Wanted to be sure that there was enough for springtime.
*      Seasonal HVAC service
*      Mulvaney Mechanical came and did the winter service to the heating and AC systems.
*      As the weather has not been too cold, it has been easier to keep the propane usage down.
*     Compressor contactor repair completed

Regulatory and Compliance
There were no permit violations for Redding in the month of November 2021
10% under the seasonal average

Alarms
·         None

CBYD
·         6 Portland Ave – no mark out required
·         Redding Rd & Brookside Dr – no mark out required

Points for Discussion
* Garbage Hauling
* There were a few weeks that Oak Ridge Hauling did not pick up the garbage. Jeremy has since spoken with them and made sure that they will be there on Tuesday.
*   Discussion on the possibility of leaving the dumpster unit outside the perimeter of the fence to prevent an issue in the future.
*  DO Probe replacement
*  In aeration tank that supplies enough air to the tank. There have been some early signs of failure.
*   With the cold weather, it is hard to gauge how much air is needed for the tank.
*   Quote from HACH was provided.
*   Discussion on adding this piece of equipment to the HACH maintenance service plan.
* A. Atamian asked about turnaround times for this equipment. J. Nixon has a call in to HACH already to get an answer to that, with supply chain issues.
*  D. Pattee asked if there is any electrical work that will need to be done in order to replace the probe. J. Nixon stated it may be possible to get a staff member from another Veolia plant to come and do the work but will get a quote for full installation.

Motion: Approve Hach purchase of a new DO Probe for $1,060.95. * T. Eubanks, motion. K. Klump, second. Approved unanimous

*Installation fees will be approved at next month’s meeting once final quote is obtained.
·*    PAC shutdown
*     PAC takes 3-5 weeks to leave the system.
*     The tank is empty, but it is still working its way out.
*      Aeration instrumentation upgrades
*      NIC quote was discussed at last month’s meeting
*      Initially, an additional PLC cabinet was going to be needed, but after further research, it will not be necessary.
*      Installation of instrumentation and electrical work/parts will not be included in the cost.
*     The tank that needs to be revitalized needs to mirror the other tanks that have level transducers. Once the system is uniform, the staff will be able to pick from 2 sets of level transducers, which will operate the tanks more efficiently.
*      A. Atamian asked if the parts that are included in the quote should be included in the service contract. J. Nixon stated that including them in the service agreement would be lucrative.
*    Wait until next month when all information is gathered, and the capital plan is better laid out.
*    V. McPherson asked if there is a plan in place to keep one tank active and another inactive because the capacity is not as high as it should be. J. Nixon stated that there is always about a foot of water kept in the offline tank. D. Pattee asked if the equipment needs to be always submerged, or if it will dry out. J. Nixon will reach out to NIC to find out if the technology allows for the equipment to not be submerged.

·         Drum Screener #1 repair
*No definitive date for installation has been set. Parts for the drum screener are still coming in

OTHER DISCUSSION
·         A. Atamian stated COL adjustment will be 4.3% for 2022
·         A. Atamian stated that lab costs are expected to go up 15%
·         No lab invoices have been received since June. There was a reimbursable sent in December, but there were charges missing.
·         V. McPherson asked about lead lag for compressors. J. Nixon stated that Kaeser is going to be looking into the possibility of a lead lag setting being installed. SCADA is not integrated at the Redding WPCF as it is at other plants. NIC is also looking into programming but need to make a full day visit to the plant.

Veolia left at 8:50 PM

ITEM 4: DISCUSSION ON CAPITAL PLANNING AND FY 2023 BUDGET

·         J. Nixon stayed on the verify dates that were included in the capital plan spreadsheet.
·         Discussion and verification on capital items that will needs to be replaced.
·         V. McPherson and A. Atamian will sit down with J. Nixon for a half-day session to verify equipment life cycle and cost.

ITEM 5: DISCUSSION AND ACTION OF INVOICES AND FINANCIAL STATUS

MOTION: Approve all invoices totaling $38,050.13. T. Eubanks, motion. D. Pattee, second. Approved unanimously

Bills to be Paid:
·         Airgas: $15.00
·         Aquarion Monthly: $330.82
·         Eversource: $6,449.76
·         Frontier: $327.98
·         Hocon: $1,594.67
·         Oak Ridge Hauling: $160.37
·         Veolia Monthly October 2021: $29,171.53

Bills Not Being Paid:
·         Veolia Reimbursable Dec 2021: $21,270.82

Other Discussion:
·         Get more information on the December reimbursable as there has not been one received since June 2021.
·         Last year, A. Atamian made a usage trend spreadsheet. E. Bumagat will add in what has been used since A. Atamian’s last entry.
·         Discussion on new additions to Georgetown and whether usage will be increasing in the coming year.

ITEM 6: COMMISSION MEMBER COMMENTS
·         V. McPherson asked if there are going to be any changes coming with the Veolia/Suez merger. A. Atamian stated she does not think there will be.

ITEM 7: PUBLIC COMMENT
NONE

ITEM 8: ADJOURNMENT
Motion to adjourn: D Pattee, motion. T. Eubanks, second.
Meeting adjourned at 9:05PM

Submitted by Katherine Stauffer

 

 

Accessibility Tools
hide