Water Pollution Control Commission
SPECIAL MEETING MINUTES
April 6, 2020 @ 7:00 PM
Remote – via Zoom
Present: Amy Atamian, Richard Regan, David Pattee, Todd Eubanks, Kirby Klump.
Also Present: Katherine Stauffer, WPCC Administrator and Eugene Burke of Veolia.
Chairwoman Atamian called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM.
- Discussion and Action on Drum Screener Repairs
- There are 2 drum screeners at the Town of Redding WPCF. One unit was completely replaced 3 years ago and the other needs repairs.
- The second unit malfunctioned, and a liner inside began to warp and shift out of place. The liner became dislodged, and was destroyed. The basket inside of the drum will need to be repaired.
- Eugene Burke stated that although there can be visual inspections done to the drum screeners there are no ways to see whether there is internal damage unless the entire unit is taken apart.
- Municipal Maintenance is the contractor responsible for the repair of the drum screeners. They have been on site making other repairs that were approved in August 2019.
- For the damage found, 2 quotes have been supplied. One for repair of the basket for $6,970; and the other for a replacement of the entire unit for $14,890.
i. Mr. Regan asked what the life span of a drum screener unit is. The current screener has been operational for 12 years and the one replaced previously was functional for 9 years.
ii. Mr. Pattee asked Mr. Burke to clarify the ‘power washing’ process that is indicated within the monthly reports Veolia provides and wondered why this was not found earlier. Mr. Burke clarified that the power washing happens when the drum screener stops moving. 6 nozzles inside of the drum screener spray the walls to remove any buildup.
iii. Mr. Regan asked Mr. Burke if Municipal Maintenance offers preventative maintenance on the drum screeners and if he could get an annual cost for it.
iv. Discussion followed.
MOTION: D. Pattee made a motion to expend $6,970.00 to repair the basket inside of the drum screener. Seconded by T. Eubanks. Motion passed unanimously.
2. Public Comment:
3. Motion to adjourn made by A. Atamian. Seconded by D. Pattee.
MEETING ADJOURNED AT 7:50 PM
Click here for recording of meeting. Access Password: 1l5030