Select Page

Minutes of Water Pollution Control Commission Special Meeting, 12/30/2020

AGENDA: Water Pollution Control Commission Special Meeting

RECEIVED 01/07/2021 12:52pm
Kathleen R. Miserendino - Redding Deputy Town Clerk

WPCC Special Meeting Minutes
December 30, 2020 6:30 PM

Present: Amy Atamian, Todd Eubanks, Dave Pattee, Kirby Klump, Vanessa McPherson
Also Present: Katherine Stauffer, WPCC Administrator and Eugene Burke, Chief Operator.

ITEM 1: Call to Order: A. Atamian called the meeting to order at 6:34 PM

ITEM 2: Discussion and Action to set the Fiscal Year 2022 Budget

  • Pattee asked if there is a separate budget for repair and maintenance of each individual town building. K. Stauffer stated she will find out from Shaun Donnelly.
  • The WPCC discussed the various repairs that need to be done and whether they should be capital expenditures paid for by the Town. There was also discussion on repairs that may be made and paid for out of the current FY budget.
  • McPherson stressed the need for a breakdown of equipment, what needs to be repaired, and the severity in which it needs to be done. She asked if it was possible to also include a ‘Repair vs. Replace’ cost line to see which options will be more feasible.
  • McPherson asked if there had been changes to the air demand since the leak study was performed to see if that was another repair to be added to the list of repairs.
  • There was some discussion on the cost of the building crack repairs and whether it will be a capital item for the Town. The WPCC is already paying for the investigation being done by Millone and Macbroom.
  • There was discussion on the downtrend of water usage in the Georgetown area due to the restaurants being closed or doing less business.
  • Klump stated that residency at Meadow Ridge has gone down since the pandemic began and not many visitors are allowed. Water usage is decreasing at Meadow Ridge, as well.
  • The NEPDES permit will need to be renewed this year.
  • The WPCC asked E. Burke if he can check to see if there is another lab service provider for their regular testing.

Proposed Budget:

  • Salary & Wages: $23,114            +2.5%
  • Recording Secretary: $1,260      +16.7%
  • Contract Services: $354,700       +.8%
  • Computer Services: $7,000         No Change
  • Outside Services: $10,000          No Change
  • General Legal: $2,000                No Change
  • Lab Services/Supplies: $34,200  +36.8%
  • Sludge Disposal: $15,000           -44.4%
  • Telephone: $3,900                      +5.4%
  • Postage: $75                               No Change
  • Legal Notices: $300                     No Change
  • Electric Services: $80,000           -5.9%
  • Maintenance & Repair: $80,000  +23.1%
  • Fuel Oil & Propane: $9,000         +12.5%
  • Materials & Supplies: $20,000     +33.3%
  • Pump Station: $10,000                No Change
  • Water Utility: $4,000                    No Change
  • All Other Expenses: $1,000         No Change

MOTION: Approve the current proposed budget to be presented to the Board of Finance and Board of Selectmen on January 8, 2021. T. Eubanks, motion. D. Pattee, second.

ITEM 3: Set 2021 Meeting Dates

MOTION: Set 2021 meeting dates for the third Wednesday of every month at 7:30PM in the Town Hall Hearing Room. K. Klump, motion. V. McPherson, second. Approved unanimous.

2021 Meetings:
January 20, 2021
February 17, 2021
March 17, 2021
April 21, 2021
May 19, 2021
June 16, 2021
July 21, 2021
August 18, 2021
September 15, 2021
October 20, 2021
November 17, 2021
December 15, 2021

ITEM 4: Discussion and Possible Action on Compressor Replacement

  • Atamian asked if there will be additional bids made on this project. E. Burke stated that there will not be. This is because the Kaeser blowers work in sync with the Kaeser compressors and have been programmed into the SCADA system. Kaeser blowers will not work with another brand of compressors.
  • Kaeser has submitted a quote for $14,300 for one larger compressor with two units that will operate the entire plant. Currently, the plant operates with two compressors that alternate on and off. D. Pattee stated that last month, E. Burke said there will only be one compressor, not two. E. Burke will double check to make sure.
  • McPherson pointed out that the compressor quote was given before the leak study was actually done, so Kaeser probably knew that
  • Atamian asked if there is a cheaper way to repair the broken compressor to hold over in the interim.
  • Atamian asked E. Burke to get a full broken down quote through RFQ to be reviewed and discussed at next month’s meeting.

ITEM 5: Public Comment


ITEM 6: Adjourn

            MOTION: Adjourn meeting. D. Pattee, motion. K. Klump, second. Approved unanimous.

Meeting adjourned at 8:20 PM

Submitted By:
Katherine Stauffer