Present: Gerald Casiello, Chairman; Secretary Amy Atamian; Commissioner Ben Gordon; Commissioner Ted Ogonek; Alternate Matt Lecher; Alternate Gary Mayashiro.
Also Present: Julia Pemberton, First Selectman; Aimee Pardee, Zoning Officer; two applicants.
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. Mr. Lecher was seated for Commissioner Mike Hoffman.
- Approval of minutes from the Public Hearing of June 24, 2015.
Motion: move that the Redding Zoning Commission approve the minutes of the June 24, 2015 public hearing as submitted. Motion made by Mr. Ogonek, seconded by Mr. Lecher, and carried by a majority: Ms. Atamian abstained as she was not present at the hearing.
- Approval of minutes from the Regular Meeting of June 24, 2015.
Motion: move that the Redding Zoning Commission approve the minutes of the June 24, 2015 regular meeting as submitted. Motion made by Mr. Ogonek, seconded by Mr. Lecher, and carried by a majority: Ms. Atamian abstained as she was not present at the meeting.
- Application #2015-24Z – 227 Ethan Allen Highway (Map #35 – Lot #58): Applicant Kuczo Tree and Lawn Care LLC; Agent Kieran M. Ryan, Esq. In accordance with Section 5.2 of the Redding Zoning Regulations, request for Site Plan Revision for expansion of parking lot for use by a landscaping company.
Attorney Kieran Ryan, and business owner Andrew Kuczo, were present to speak regarding the application. Mr. Kuczo explained that he has been leasing property next door to 227 Ethan Allen Highway from which he has been running his landscaping business. He has now purchased 227 Ethan Allen Highway and would like to move the business. Attorney Ryan stated that the use of the property is consistent with what was approved for the previous owner but they wish to legalize the previous owner’s expansion of the parking area.
The Commission briefly discussed the criterion for requiring a public hearing.
Motion: move that this application does not require a public hearing. Motion made by Mr. Ogonek, seconded my Ms. Atamian, and carried unanimously.
Mr. Ryan and Mr. Kuczo reviewed the site plan with the Commission. They said that Enterprise Car Rental will continue to rent space and Mr. Kuczo will store his trucks and equipment in the parking lot and in the garage bay. During the day, Mr. Kuczo’s employees will park on the property. The Commission asked about storage of chemicals and supplies; Mr. Kuczo said that he gets those items closer to his job sites and that the garage will contain his mowers, blowers, and similar equipment. The Commission discussed the proximity of the parking area to the Norwalk River; the Zoning Officer noted that it is not in the flood zone and that Chairman of the Conservation Commission had said that the Conservation Commission did not need to see an application for the parking expansion. The Commission discussed the plants between the parking area and the river and suggested that these should not be disturbed.
Motion: To approve application #2015 – 24Z for a Site Plan Revision for expanded parking area at 227 Ethan Allen Highway. Motion made by Ms. Atamian, seconded by Mr. Gordon, and carried uanimously.
- Application #2015-25Z – 60 Greenbush Road (Map#38 – Lot #2): Applicants Bennett and Suzanne Pardee. In accordance with Section 5.12 of the Redding Zoning Regulations, request for a Special Use Permit for an accessory apartment in a detached garage.
The Commission briefly discussed the application, noting the need for a public hearing.
Motion: To set the public hearing date for Application #2015 – 25Z for September 9, 2015. Motion made by Mr. Ogonek, seconded by Ms. Atamian, and carried unanimously.
First Selectman Julia Pemberton was in attendance and the Chairman asked for an update regarding the former Gilbert and Bennett property in Georgetown. Ms. Pemberton stated that the town has begun the foreclosure process and that August 4th is the return date, although the town anticipates a continuance of at least 30 days. She said that one of the things that must be sorted out by the courts is who has priority in the action but that the town feels that a 2007 Special Act clearly gives the town priority over the taxing district. Meanwhile, she said that the grant for construction of the river walls is still in place, and the state has available a program to protect the town from any liability related to site remediation. She said she hopes to put together a presentation to update the public in September.
The Chairman expressed concern regarding the tenants on site, the revenue being collected by the owner, and an outstanding bill owed to the Zoning Department: issues he would like resolved.
- Future Agenda: August 12, 2015 public hearings regarding Items #2015-22Z and #2015-23Z: proposed amendments to the Redding Zoning Regulations regarding an extension to the moratorium on applications or permits for medical marijuana sales or manufacturing and an addition of “self-storage facilities” as a permitted use in the SB Zone.
- Communication: There was no discussion under this agenda item.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Motion made by Ms. Atamian, seconded by Mr. Ogonek, and carried unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by: