REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
January 8, 2014
Hearing Room, Town Hall
Present: Gerry Casiello, Chair; Mike Hoffman, Ted Ogonek, and alternates, Amy Atamian, Matthew Lecher, and Gary Miyashiro
Also present: Aimee Pardee, ZEO, and three members of the public
Ms. Atamian was seated for Joseph Ventricelli and Matthew Lecher was seated for Ben Gordon.
Mr. Miyashiro recused himself from the discussion of Application #13-23.
Mr. Casiello called the regular meeting to order at 7:42 pm.
1. Approval of Minutes: Motion: move to accept the minutes of the Regular Meeting of December 11, 2013 as submitted. Ogonek, Atamian. Approved unanimously
2. Application #13-23 – In accordance with Section 5.2 of the Redding Zoning Regulations: application for Site Plan revision for The Town of Redding, Community Center, 33 Lonetown Road (Assessor’s Map 21 & Lot 13) to construct a 803 square foot addition to the existing community center building, and to construct a 720 square foot free-standing storage building.
The Public Hearing was closed and there were no further questions/discussion.
Motion: move that the Redding Zoning Commission approve Application #13-23 as presented. Ogonek, Hoffman. Approved unanimously.
Mr. Miyashiro returned to the meeting at this time.
3. Applicaton #14-01- In accordance with Sections 4.4.2 (d) and 5.10 of the Redding Zoning Regulations: application for Site Plan Approval for Mark H. & Gretchen E. von Dwingelo, 9 Guardhouse Drive to conduct a home occupation. For receipt/discussion/action.
Mr. Casiello noted that the application called for a review of the nature of the occupation, the number of employees, area for use and traffic in/out. The applicant, Mark von Dwingelo, addressed the Commission on the application. He intends to establish a gun smithing business in a small 10 x 10’ area of his unfinished basement. The business will include the cleaning and accessorizing of guns. Mr.von Dwingelo has an application for a Firearm License pending approval by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. An inspection of the premises and review of the lockable storage facility has been completed by Federal authorities. Mr. von Dwingelo does not plan to have employees and only minor occasional traffic to the business.
Mr. Ogonek questioned the amount of work that would be done on the guns, and safety issues. Mr. von Dwingelo stated that the double lock storage for the guns has been inspected and approved as part of the Firearm license application.
Motion; move that the Redding Zoning Commission approve Application #14-01 as submitted. Hoffman, Atamian. Approved with Mr. Ogonek abstaining.
4. Application #14-02 – In accordance with Section 5.1.6 and 5.11.2 of the Redding Zoning Regulations: application for renewal of Limited Duration Special Use Permit for Mark Twain Library , 439 Redding Road (Map #29 & Lot #77) to hold 19th Annual Frog Frolic to be held at the Redding Community Center on May 3, 2014 from 10:00am through 4:00pm. Previously held on May 4, 2013. For discussion/action.
There have been no problems with this event in the past.
Motion: move that the Redding Zoning Commission approve Application #14-02 as submitted. Atamian, Hoffman. Approved unanimously.
Motion: move that the Redding Zoning Commission add to the agenda approval of the Incentive Housing Development Application. Atamian, Lecher. Approved unanimously.
5. DISCUSSION AND ACTION ON REFERRAL OF INCENTIVE HOUSING DEVELOPMENT APPLICATION.
Referral to the Redding Zoning Commission of Incentive Housing Development Application for Preliminary Determination of Eligibility to the Connecticut Department of Economic and Community Development (DECD) in accordance with CGS 8-13 (m –x); request for approval of Certified Resolution of the Local Zoning Authority.
This application was reviewed and approved at the December 11, 2013 regular meeting. When the application package was submitted to the State of Connecticut it was rejected, requesting that the documents include the name and signature of the current First Selectman rather than the previous First Selectman. As a result, all approving town agencies are being asked to re-approve the application..
Motion: move that the Zoning Commission of the Town of Redding met on December 11, 2013 and adopted a resolution by a unanimous vote to
1) Endorses submission of the zone adoption application under the Housing for Economic Growth Program reference in Section 8-13(m-x) of CGS; and
2) Certifies that it will consider the creation of one or more incentive housing zones as identified in the application. Such application is attached to and made a part of this record.
3) Certifies that it will consider and act on the Incentive Housing Development when proposed within the approved Incentive Housing Zone/s in compliance with Section 8-13 (m-x) of CGS.
Motion by Mrs. Atamian, seconded by Mr. Ogonek. The motion was unanimously approved.
6. FUTURE AGENDA: Ms. Pardee reported that the Mark Twain Library, 439 Redding Road, recently received Conservation Commission approval for an expansion to the existing parking lot; this will also require approval from the Zoning Commission. Ms. Pardee also noted that Region 9, Joel Barlow High School, 100 Blackrock Turnpike, is seeking a variance to the Redding Zoning Regulations regarding the height of proposed light poles, and also the configuration of previously approved parking. If either or both of those varaiances are granted, Region 9 will also have to bring those changes to the Zoning Commission.
7. COMMUNICATION: Mr. Casiello reported on the receipt of a letter of resignation from Joe Ventricelli due to relocation to the Boston area. The Board of Selectmen will appoint a replacement for Mr. Ventricelli.
Motion: move to adjourn the meeting. Hoffman, Atmian. Approved unanimously.
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm
Mary Maday, Recording Secretary