December 20, 2021
On our last update we reported that Redding’s average 2-week daily rate of COVID-19 cases in the past 4 weeks rose from 2.4 to 21.2 cases per 100,000. Since last week cases have risen to 32.9 per 100,000.
This past Sunday Dr. Fauci stated “It’s going to be a tough few weeks” and he described omicron as “extraordinary” in its transmissibility. Concerning the holidays he said “There are still safe ways for vaccinated people to get together for the holidays, including wearing a mask while traveling, testing beforehand, and knowing the vaccination status of everyone present at indoor celebrations”.
The Holidays…Safer Ways, from CDC
• Because many generations tend to gather to celebrate holidays, the best way to minimize COVID-19 risk is to get vaccinated.
• Even if you are fully vaccinated you should wear a mask in public indoor settings, and while traveling.
• Outdoors is safer than indoors.
• Avoid crowded, poorly ventilated spaces…open windows.
• If you are sick or have symptoms, do not host or attend a gathering.
• Testing can give you information about your risk of spreading COVID-19. Whether it’s a PCR, antigen, or home test, a positive test result means you have an infection and should avoid indoor gatherings, so you don’t spread disease to someone else. A negative home test means you may not have an infection and repeating the test within at least 24 hours between tests will increase the confidence that you are not infected.
With cases rising it is required that masks be worn in all indoor settings regardless of vaccination status, where social distancing cannot be maintained. This includes all municipal buildings, schools, school buses, childcare facilities, restaurants (when not eating or drinking), places of worship, work, healthcare, and congregate living settings. This does not apply to outdoor activity or private homes. We will continue to follow the guidance provided by the CT Department of Public Health for sport activities. Masks can be removed when alone in a room such as a private office or when socially distanced from others. Face masks must be worn directly on the face completely covering the nose and mouth.
Where to Get Vaccinated
Wednesday December 22 – Ages 5-11 pediatric clinic – 4-8pm at John Read Middle School. No appointment needed.
Tuesday December 28 – COVID Vax Van Clinic – 1-5pm – Redding Community Center for ages 12+. All vaccines available. No appointment needed.
Or go to https://www.vaccines.gov/
COVID Test Sites
Dr. Lawrence Leibowitz
Director of Health
Doug Hartline, RS
Redding Health Officer